Saturday, January 26, 2013

Protesting the Legal Holocaust~ Scenes from The March for Life 2013



My younger son, T and I headed down to The March yesterday in D.C. to protest the 40th anniversary of America's legal holocaust. Due to schedule conflicts and commitments, my hubby and older son could not join us. Next year, however,  is a definite go for them.

 Over 55 million babies legally murdered in the United  States since 1973. 

Tragic.




While mainstream news outlets  largely ignored The March or minimized its attendance, it is estimated that over  650,000 pro lifers descended upon D.C. on Friday to take a stand for the most defenseless of our brothers and sisters.

Bl John Paul II 's sentiment, "A nation that kills its own children is a nation without hope" crystallizes the culture of death in which we sadly live and raise our children.

However, the  pro life movement has made great strides. 

Great strides. 

  For example, in 2012 alone,  an average of 7 abortion clinics closed every month across our nation! 

And friends,  this is  truly amazing to me: five states have only one abortion clinic each.

 One. 

 Wow.

 That is mind boggling to me as a New Yorker, a state notorious for its pro abortion stand. You can read more about the victories that we, pro lifers, have made here.

So, a  photojournal of our trip to D.C.: 
(All photos are copyrighted. Please request permission before reusing.)

The amazing sunrise over the skyline as we passed  NYC on the Jersey side:




Isn't that just gorgeous?


I still can't wrap my brain around the Twin Towers missing from our skyline, after these dozen long years. 

When I shared my thoughts with Timmy, as we gazed at the beauty of dawn upon The Greatest City in the World, he didn't miss a beat when he replied, "Loss of life, Mom. That's why we're going to D.C. today. It's the same thing." 


Yes it is. 

It is the same.

The very same thing.

A 10 year old can see it. Those who cannot, simply refuse to in the name of feminism.



After five hours on the bus and a quick respite with our group for breakfast at a rest area on the Jersey Turnpike, our first stop was The National Shrine of The Immaculate Conception for a mass hosted by thousands of pro lifers from North Carolina. Thousands. Very moving. 
And these pro lifers?

Young. Very young. 

Our future is pro life, friends. Thank God.

In fact, please click here for the pro life video that my 13 year old son created. He was blessed to win a diocesan award for its Respect Life message. He includes quotes, stats,  moving images and touching music.














Timmy and I, before our group headed into mass.




 A friend from our parish, who is also the Respect Life leader, with Timmy on the Shrine steps. Lu and her husband Dick, did a masterful job coordinating the trip. We are so blessed to have such a caring, thoughtful  couple handling all the details to create a remarkable trip for all of us!


A dear friend of mine, hails from one of the dioceses represented at the mass yesterday, which was not only the feast day of the conversion of St. Paul, but also, the fourth anniversary of my Mom's entrance into Eternal Life. 

That's what I call  a perfect blend of pro life sentiment. And a perfect statement for life. A remembrance of my Mom is here. 

A few shots Timmy took of the beauty of the shrine:






                       







The amazing organ:


After mass, our bus drivers ( I really should have gotten a picture of them!) threaded their way through the crowds and brought us as close as possible to The Mall for a  drop - off:












                                                                                                     
I couldn't quite get the whole sign, above, in front of The Capitol.
It reads: 
"We are abortion abolitionists!"






I love this picture:
   




Here's part of our group, on the steps of the Supreme Court building:



Can I tell you that it was right about at this point during
 The March that we all froze?
Okay, not really.
But. 
It. Was. Cold.
<shiver>
Sleet, sub freezing temps.
And yet...... exhilaration.

We listened to  heartbreaking speeches on the steps of The Supreme Court Building.
 Women who have had abortions and suffered terribly in the aftermath
 told their wrenching tales.
Grief and regret swirled through the crowd here.
 We can only hope and pray that these stories reach even more of the women contemplating abortion so that they have a change of heart. 

And here's Lu again, along with her husband,  Dick, 
our parish Respect Life leaders and coordinators of our March excursion:


Lu  organized door prizes on our bus, gifted us with goodies such as cookies, granola bars, Respect Life pins and hand  warmers  (How cool is that ?)   and showed wonderfully inspiring movies on the bus trip to and from D.C. that you can check out here and here.
They are energetic and gracious. 
We're lucky to have them in our lives!

And doesn't this sign speak the truth?~~~~
This was hanging from  the window in a building right across the street
 from the back of the Supreme Court.
Yes, we do pray that satan unleashes his grip on the President's heart.........
He needs our prayers.



After The March: 
A very tired and frozen, but happy, boy after walking for miles, 
as we are about to board the bus to head home:


Our group broke up what wound up being a  9 1/2 hour bus trip home at Burger King.  I kid you not.......due to inclement weather and a drop in the speed limit on the Jersey Turnpike, it took us quite some time to get back to the church parking lot. Paul and Kev were waiting for us, as we called them from the road.  It was close to 2:00 AM and what a feeling of accomplishment and positivity! Yeah, we were tired, too. Our pilgrimage had begun 23 hours earlier. 




Thank you for stopping in, friends, and for sharing in our story of the historic March on the 40th anniversary of abortion's legalization.


                                                             I'm honored to be a Compassion blogger!
                                     How can you sponsor a child through Compassion International?
Wait til you see these adorable faces!

  
 
Friends, as always,  
thank you for stopping over and 
spending some of your precious time 
here at my home on the web!
And hey:

Have you signed up to receive my posts in your email inbox?
   If not, just enter your email address here
so we can be in touch regularly!

Enter your email address:

You might wish to follow on Facebook as well.....

Until next time,

~Chris


24 comments:

  1. Magnificent! I am discouraged, but not suprised at the lack of coverage in the mainstream media. But, because of all of the wonderful people, like yourself and your son, and the way everyone promoted it on social media, the world knows what was done yesterday. I am so sorry that I couldn't go. I am still not feeling well, but we watched on EWTN and were with you all in spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, for stopping in and commenting!
      yes, I so agree about the media blackout....but here in NY, my husband said he did hear a 30 second or so blurb about The March on a major news radio station....and twice he caught it while he was driving.... So perhaps the media is beginning to take notice of our movement. We can hope.
      Take care, friend.
      ~Chris

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Monique!
      So happy that you stopped in and left a comment.
      Peace
      ~Chris

      Delete
  3. Dear Chris, this is my second attempt so I hope it works. I am so glad you brought me to this blog. So many parallels it's amazing. Including sunset pictures that I also took en route and was wowed by! And we did McD's rather than BK. :) But I felt like I was with you, and I almost was. Here's the neatest parallel though. One of the gals on our trip shared with me the day after that the March was the 10th anniversary of her father's death. For me, it was the two-week anniversary of mine. Yes, it was all so very fresh that I almost didn't go to the March, my grief was still so raw, but somehow, God's grace entered in and I went as a chaperone with my daughter and 145 others. I brought my Daddy with me through wearing his red flannel shirt for most of the trip. He was there, too, at Mass, and when I passed the Smithsonian, a favorite of his as a history buff. So, it warmed me to read your post. Thank you so much for sharing! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxane,
      THANK YOU for stopping and leaving a note...
      I am so sorry about the loss of your Dad. I had no idea. We will remember him in our prayers...and all of you as well, Roxane.
      I'm sure he was so very proud of you not only for sticking to your routine and continuing with the plan to chaperone the trip to DC but also for taking a stand and being a voice for the unborn! What a trip you all had!
      I am so sorry.
      Thanks for sharing the link to your blog post. I am heading over there now, Roxane....
      Much love,
      Chris

      Delete
  4. Here's my last post before leaving for D.C.

    http://peacegardenwriter.blogspot.com/2013/01/red-plaid-flannel-shirt.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roxane.
      I'm very happy that you shared this.....will read and leave a com on your blog when I get home from reh tonight and I can be through without rishing.
      I lost my Dad almost 20 years ago...wow where did 2 decades go? Some days it seems like yesterday.
      I'll pray for all of you in the weeks/months ahead.....I'll be thinking of you, Roxane.
      Love
      Chris

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful trip! We loved going to the National Shrine when we lived in VA. What a blessing for you to be part of this movement and to have such a lovely day! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie
      Wow, to be so close to The Shrine! I'll bet that was wonderful!
      it was amazing, being a part of this with close to a million people....and really, the least we could do...just amazing.
      Thanks for visiting, Stephanie:)

      Delete
  6. Great job, mama! Keep up the good work raising a life-loving family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for being a witness! I haven't been able to make it for a few years and it upsets me. But I love seeing that others are able to be there and show that many people do care! And it is wonderful to see so many young people there, too! What a wonderful blessing! Thanks for sharing, Chis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen
      Thank you for stopping in! Well, YOU certainly are a prolife witness in other areas...you may not have been able to get to The March, but you ARE a constant shining example of motherhood and respect for life....
      Thanks, Jen, for your kind words...

      Delete
  8. Love the pictures Chris! What a wonderful thing to do with your son. I like you more with every post I read :). I'll keep checking back to watch the video. I am really interested in seeing it. Looks like you are raising some fine, upstanding boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you Candace...you made my day...and right back at YOU! If not for my Mom-friends...I think I'd throw in the towel. You ladies keep me going...
      Thanks for stopping in and yes, I hope I can get the vid up. Gotta look into it tonight.

      Delete
  9. Great post....I feel like I was there with you. Thanks for sharing! Timmy gets it...smart boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's the nicest compliment...that you feel as if you marched with us! ( I wish you did!! Wouldn't THAT be awesome!)

      Thanks for the kind words abt Timmy too!

      xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  10. Wonderful account of your pilgrimage - the same one my adult daughter completed for the first time this year (from KY). My heart swells with gratitude to everyone involved! Thank you for your witness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, from Kentucky! Good for her!
      Thanks for your kind words, Birgit and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  11. This post touched my heart the 2nd time reading it more than the first! What an amazing witness you are to your son! Thanks for linking up with Field Trip Friday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Lisa, you made my day.....thanks so much for being such a good friend and so supportive of all in your circle....You're the best.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for representing our great state of New York at the March for Life, and thanks for linking up on my blog. What a great experience you and your son shared that day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica
      Thanks so much for stopping by, fellow, NYer!! We certainly did have an amazing day!
      I appreciate your mission link party as well!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.