Friday, March 22, 2013

Artful Friday: Yeats, Joyce and Watercolor with a Little Vivaldi Thrown In!

Well, hello there!    I hope all is well with you, friends......

As you know, I've been devoting my Friday blogging to The Arts in our homeschool.  Here are a few recent "Artful Friday" posts, in case there is anything from the past  that interests you:
The Arts in Our Homeschool This Week
 ( knitting, winter crafts, the theater and piano)
 Lenten, Valentine and Papal Crafts
( Not an "Atful Friday" post, but you will find some creative links to papal studies here. )
Mercy Crosses, Lenten wreaths, Rosary Making, Music Lessons
Strings, Keys, Sketches
Strings for the Beginner
                                               
Poetry in Watercolor~
Around St Patrick's Day, we always read and live  snippets of literary pieces by Irish poets....James Joyce, William Butler Yeats, Oscar Wilde, Thomas Davis and William Allingham.  We are an Irish family, you know! Okay, half Irish.... <sniff> my poor kids are only half Irish......   <sniff>  

Anyway, as it turns out there are a few poets which really grabbed the boys, specifically Yeats and Joyce. We copied "favorite" lines, discussed literary elements such as metaphor, similes, alliteration and learned about the lives and influences of these colorful Irish writers.

Within this wonderful collection, which we read all throughout the year, not just around St Patty's Day,  works from well known Irish writers can be discovered:
                                                         

Our focus for the  projects were these poems,  by Joyce and Yeats specifically:

All Day I Hear the Noise of Waters

All day I hear the noise of waters
Making moan,
Sad as the sea-bird is when, going
Forth alone,
He hears the winds cry to the water's
Monotone.

The grey winds, the cold winds are blowing
Where I go.
I hear the noise of many waters
Far below.
All day, all night, I hear them flowing
To and fro.  
~James Joyce
Cute. 

I guess.

 Maybe the first 38  times or so. 

Anyway, the story is "The Boarding House" and  since its theme revolves around an illicit affair and the family's focus on trickery around trapping a boarder into marriage rather than on Polly's honor, well, we skipped this one, For now, anyway. We did  enjoy a few passages from the stream of consciousness classic, Finnegan's Wake! The whole concept of 'Finnegan' was a hoot to them!

                                                 
Warercolor Fun~
  A few other watercolor tips, tricks and sites we stumbled upon this week that you might enjoy.........
1. This site explains easily and simply a few  watercolor texture techniques to make working with this medium a bit richer and more fun, if you so desire.

 2.  A fun video that your kids will be sure to spend time enjoying...The artist who produced this adorable video also keeps a blog where she shares awesome creations.


As well as my son's  rendition of the watercolor pug. Didn't he do a great job? 






His fave stuffed animal ever is his pug and so this is especially cute!

                                                    
And while the reading and painting was underway, we largely focused on  Antonio Vivaldi, his life and times, his influences and his compositions.  This site details biographical info on the Baroque composers; I think you'll find it a nice complement to the atmosphere as your kids soak up his genius while this plays.  We learned a tremendous amount about this man whose works, but not his life story, are so well known. Mike Venezia also wrote  a bio on Vivaldi in his Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists series.

These titles are fun  as well:

Vivaldi's Four Seasons  







I Vivaldi
        

                         


Now, my kids just began violin lessons last month..... ( and here is a post which includes the resources that their teacher is using with them )    But I could not resists picking this up for them this week when we were on our Vivaldi kick. Something to aspire to after the exercises of their weekly lessons, right?

                                                


I'm happy to link this to the #BloggingHomeschoolers
monthly link up at Teach Beside Me!
Please click over for some awesome, informative 
homeschool ideas!

Friends, as always,  
thank you for stopping over and 
spending some of your precious time 
here at my home on the web!

Have you signed up to receive my posts in your email inbox?
   If not, just enter your email address here
so we can be in touch regularly!

Enter your email address:


      
You might wish to follow on Facebook as well.....

Until next time,



~Chris



25 comments:

  1. Totally sweet and awesome! Be still my heart - I love both Vivaldi and watercolors!! They did great work!! Thanks for sharing with us and all the wonderful resources :)

    BlessingsXOXOX
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise!
      So happy you stopped in! Thx for the kind words

      Delete
  2. I am so impressed with everything you do in your homeschool! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa-
      Hey, right back at YOU.... I do appreciate the kind words...thanks, friend

      Delete
  3. Thank you for linking up at Living and Learning With Our New Normal.
    I'm so glad you did! Your blog is quite the treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvia, what a nice comment to log onto THANK YOU!
      I'm looking fwd to getting to know you through the blogosphere:)

      Have a lovely day, friend..
      xoxox

      Delete
  4. Love the pug watercolor..great job. I need to do more getting poetry into our schooling, I haven't done a lot of that yet. You are inspiring me to start though:)

    Finally getting my award post up that you gave me a few weeks ago should be up this week:) thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend!
      And how nice to hear that stuff I'm doing is inspiring your activities....that's wonderful!Lovely compliment...:)

      Delete
  5. Great picture :) Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ThankYOU, Claire, for hostig and for coming over to say "hi"
      Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  6. Your son did a wonderful job. My mother-in-law would love it. I'd like to invite you to link up to my party, Manic Monday - http://cupcake-n-bake.blogspot.com/2013/03/manic-monday-10.html.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Renea:)
      Thanks SO much..Heading over to you blog now.
      Thank you for stopping in..

      Have a lovely day

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing with us Chris at "in and out of the kitchen" I love seeing what you are doing with your kids. I miss my homeschool days but alas they grew up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, thanks for hosting!
      Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  8. Oh the pug your son painted is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tascha,
      Thank you...
      I subs to your YT channel...now we'll get all your great videos!
      Thank you for sharing your talent!

      Delete
  9. I have always liked James Joyce and love how you tied him into art! Thanks for sharing at Teach Me Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla:)
      Your hop is awesome...great link up!

      Thanks for stopping in to say hi!

      Delete
  10. I didn't know that Yeats was Irish. Learn something new every day. :-) I love your children's watercolors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks, Susan, for the kind words....

      You know, I became a Yeats fan when two girlfriends and I went to Ireland 23 ( !! ) years ago and we toured his home. It was so intriguing and enticed me to get to know him.

      Thank you for stopping in, Susan...:)

      Delete
  11. You have an artist in your family - his watercolor pug is lovely. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday at Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Susan!!!

      Thx for dropping by!

      Delete
  12. I love that you combined so many elements of fine arts in this lesson! Great info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karyn....Fun topics, too!

      Thank you for stopping over

      Delete
  13. Two of our favorite things...watercolor and poetry. What an idea to use Irish poets. Since we are just beginning to read and do some fun St. Pat's projects, this will definitely add to our fun study. Thank you !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.