Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"I Have Called You...:" A Review of The Catholic Baby Name Book ~




 My friend, Patrice, of Spiritual Woman  and Catholic Lane
requested  that I review her brand new, hot off the press,
 The Catholic Baby Name Book,
 published by Ave Maria Press.
To say I am honored is an understatement.

Vintage Spring divider



I have called you by name and you are mine.
~ Isaiah 43:1


            So begins the brilliantly researched and thorough reference 
which is sure to become  well loved and dog-eared 
as it graces the shelves of many an expectant family…
And many a family who will enjoy being enlightened
 by the roots of their children’s names.


            Mrs MacArthur's  in-depth survey of saints’ biographical information
 at 526 pages and over 10,000 names
 is intriguing and reads like no other baby name book you have ever perused.
            This is readily apparent as one initially becomes engrossed
 in the engaging foreword by Lisa Hendey, 
of Catholic Mom,
 which includes a story of her website development 
as well as thankfulness for the many friends she has gathered along the way
AND her personal anecdotes relative to naming.

 These thoughts flow beautifully, so much so,
 that one may feel as if she is sitting at her kitchen table chatting with friends,
 into Mrs MacArthur’s  “Introduction,”
 followed by “How to Use this Book,”
(a section I positively love for its comprehensive explanation)
and eventually to the masterfully compiled list of Catholic names,
 separated by section into  gender.

                You will be compelled to keep those pages turning 
from the boys’ listings of  Aaren ~  Zygysundo 
to the girls’ Aami ~ Zytka,
as well as the historical information 
within the Appendices as to 
Recently Canonized Saints,  
Top 100 Names ( of 2011) and
Most Popular Catholic Names By Decade ( 1960s to 2000s).

Let me give you a glimpse into the listing for "Veronica,"
my favorite saint (and my confirmation name),
 so that you can determine
just how  intriguing the collection is:

Vintage Spring divider

Veronica
Saint 
(the name may be that of a saint or virtue or come from the Old or New Testament
Latin
(the language of the name's origin)
true image
(the meaning)
(many variations of the name are provided here
 and for "Veronica," there are 33!)
St. Veronica,
St Veronica Giuliani
(saints with this name)
St Veronica (1st century) 
was a woman from Jerusalem who wiped the face of Jesus 
as He carried the cross on his way to be crucified.
The cloth was imprinted with Jesus's face.
According to legend,
 Veronica later used the cloth to cure
 Emperor Tiberius of an illness.
Her act of kindness toward Jesus 
is remembered in the Stations of the Cross.
(Commentary about the life of the most prominent saint with this name)

Vintage Spring divider
              
  Mrs Hendey’s and Mrs MacArthur’s styles are  enchanting … 
So much so that a reader  may feel as if she  knows them forever. 
 I am, in fact, honored to count them among my friends, 
 although we have not met ( yet) face to face.
Yes, I know well the connection which is referenced in the foreword.
 I know beyond a doubt that many who read this lovely book will feel the same,
 as well as new friends who will gather through this lovely collection.



          Vintage Spring divider

Friends, thank you for stopping in today for a peek into 

I will be back tomorrow with photos
 as my millennium baby  
 becomes a teen ! 


Have a  lovely day!
I hope today finds you peaceful and happy...

 Until next time,

~Chris


6 comments:

  1. Great post, the origins of name is so interesting! I have a friend named Veronica, it's a beautiful name with beautiful roots. :) Thanks for the post friend!

    Mucho love out to you today & always!

    Denice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend!
      I appreciate the kind words and I that you stopped in to say HI!

      xoxoxoxoxox

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great book Chris! Last year as a goodbye gift to my class, I researched their Christian origin. Just as you referenced St. Veronica, I included information about their name on a 5X7 card and framed it. I didn't do it again this year because the names were challenging. God bless.

    I also did find her book in my library network system. Hopefully it'll be ordered by more libraries :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a terrific idea, Noreen!! Love that!

      How great that the CBN Book is in your lib system....I am checking now to see if county wide system ordered it as well!

      Thanks for stopping in, Noreen!

      Delete
  3. I love researching names and learning the history behind them. This sounds like a fabulous book!

    Thanks for sharing your fabulous review with us!

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, friend!
      Yes, it really is quite comprehensive and a fun red too!

      I appreciate your comment!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.