Monday, June 3, 2013

Memoir Monday: Journey Toward the Sacraments

Welcome friends, to my spot on the web 
and to another edition of Memoir Monday!

if you're interested in dusting off something from the archives.
Press suit. Check. 
Shine black dress shoes. Check. 
Purchase white satin tie and arm band. Check.
Cut hair, charge camera batteries. Check and check. 
Stock up on paper goods, plan menu, order cake, boutonniere and balloons. Check, check and check.
Plant, weed and generally beautify yard after a long and dormant winter. Check. (Okay, this one is still ongoing….)
‘Tis the season?   No, not that season…the favored season among many, which generates lists, traditions and rich memories as well… The sacramental season:  When grace and mercy are amply bestowed by our loving Father upon first communicants and confirmandi throughout dioceses across America.
The season of photos capturing grace filled moments of the conferring of the sacrament, which will undoubtedly decorate shelves in lovely frames for posterity. 





The season  when family members enjoy the camaraderie of the cooking, the baking, the decorating, the general preparing.

 And yes, the season when Moms and Dads of these blessed first communicants and confirmandi stress and generally place importance on the unimportant.
Or the not-as-important.
As the Mom of a little one on the brink of receiving sacramental graces, I am certainly ‘guilty’ of, shall we say,
 over-accentuating the, well…… the fluff.  Not that a little organization isn’t helpful when it comes to the shade of blue with which your little First Communicant’s gift is beribboned; the style of cutlery… (clear or white?) with which your guests enjoy the celebratory meal; the agonizingly oh-so-exact placement of your child’s photo on the invitation; the labeling of the coffee urns as ‘decaf’ and ‘caffeinated’ or the….. Wait; did I say ‘organized’? Hmm, what I really mean is …. well, overboard.
Seems I could use a  revised “to do” list. 

One that is  meaningful in the deeper context of the awe inspiring sacraments about to be received.
 One which may inspire me as  parent and catechist to a deeper understanding of the sacramental graces.



Lately, in my homeschool, I've chosen to pare down. Subscribe to the ‘less is more’ ideology.  Overextending into many resources with hope that marinating the kids in sheer volume…well, that  tends to be counterproductive for them, as well as for me.
Discussion around just a few literary jewels that truly speak to us.
Time carved out for deep, thoughtful conversations.
Writing and projects around a few classic pieces of literature or a few aptly chosen parables from the Bible.
Praying the Rosary… And isn't this the source through which abundant graces are received?
So, yes, well within my Mom ‘job description’ is directing my family’s minutiae….the essential and the extraneous.  I am blessed to be living this vocation of Motherhood and recognize the immense requisite of micromanagement expertise daily granted me by our Lord. Because, hey, I know I can't do any of His work alone. It's only with His help.
While the preparation for The Big Day will remain paramount on my to-do list, I will say with conviction that what-does-not-get-done will be forgotten as my husband and I witness perfection in our son’s receiving of the Sacrament on That Day.
Vintage Spring divider
This piece, I have to confess, was recycled from my archives and is my 
 Catholic Mom.com column


I am also gratefully linking this with Catholic Bloggers' Network.

Have a  lovely day, friends and thank you for visiting!

 Until next time,

~Chris




4 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back, hope you enjoyed your blog break:) I will be off line for a few weeks due to our move :) Enjoy your family and fun activities:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!
      Good luck to you, friend, in your big move!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your Big Clicks award, Chris, and to your son on his First Communion. Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ultreya, for taking the time to comment and for linking up!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.