Monday, July 22, 2013

Forever West~ The Best Sourdough Bread Bowl Clam Chowder You'll Ever Have, This Side of Fishermen's Wharf ~

About to dig into the most amazing soup ever.....
Now doesn't that look awesome?
At Fishermen's Grotto, The Wharf
7/13/13

You know Fishermen's Wharf is famous for many things, of course.

What becomes iconic about The Wharf is what makes it quintessentially our own:
The memories we create.....
the experiences we enjoy...
the loved ones with whom we share the magic.


There is no greater city than the City-by-the-Bay,
in my opinion and I'll tell ya....
usually, I claim a respectful,
"IMHO."
But in this case, 
my opinion's not all that humble.
I'm a Queens girl, born and raised.
I knew the public transit system and  the subway
like the back of my hand by the time I was 13 
and I can thread a needle with a Mac truck, 
having learned to drive on the mean streets.
A stick shift, no less.

And I'm here to tell ya,
despite it's bad rep,
New York's got its share of some pretty fine
Good Samaritans.
Lost?
Lock your keys in your car?
Cell phone battery dead?
A New Yorker will helps you out in, 
well,.........
 a New York Minute.

I know great cities, having lived in the shadow of what many consider The Best.

Breathtaking skyline?
Yes, indeed.
Never tire of it.

History, art, theater, higher education?
Yes, yes, yes and yes.
There IS no place else on Earth quite like 
 New York, New York, certainly.

But....
 charm,
 character, 
diversity, 
 beauty, 
magnetism?
Now that's San Francisco.
Let's face it. 
Tony Bennett knows what he's talking about.

View of the city from the boat to Alcatraz
<sigh>
Well, we spent several days in San Fran and the list of 'loves'
about the city is quite long.
Quite long, indeed.
And believe me, I'll get to all of them here in my little spot on the web!

The drive down Lombard Street!
But I'll start out with a not-so-secret secret:
You know the killer delish clam chowder 
and 
to-die-for sourdough bread 
for which the Wharf is famous?
I. Got. The. Recipe. 
Yes, I did.
(Well, the best recipe this side of The Wharf, that is, 
including a little cheating by using The Best canned chowder out there.)

Of course, I'll share it with you!
What are friends for?
Here goes~

Ingredients~
1 can Old Fishermen's Grotto canned clam chowder (You can buy it here!)
1 tablespoon butter
2/3 cup half and half ( or whipping cream, if you'd prefer
The hubby and I came up with this recipe after loooooooooving clam chowder sourdough bowls in San Fran on our recent trip.

And here's the recipe for world famous San Francisco Sourdough Bread from the unparalleled Boudin's bakery right on The Wharf.

And, of course, here we are, savoring every bite of the delicacy,
 right there in the center of The Wharf.


Yes, I think I did leave my heart in San Francisco.
Here are <all> of my Forever West blog posts
should you like to dust off one from the archives:



You'll Ever Have, This Side of Fishermen's Wharf ~



Geology/Earthquake Ares  of Southern California





Our Trip to Hannibal Missouri:
 Mark Twain Study

 









I'm proud to be a Compassion International blogger~~

How can you sponsor a child through Compassion International?
Wait til you see these adorable faces!

  
 
Friends, as always,  
thank you for stopping over and 
spending some of your precious time 
here at my home on the web!
And hey:




Have you signed up to receive my posts in your email inbox?
   If not, just click here to 
quickly and easily  so we can be in touch regularly!
You might wish to follow on Facebook as well.....



This post contains amazon affiliate links....
If you are shopping at  amazon this Christmas season,
would you consider clicking through my link


In this way, I will receive a small commission on the purchase.....
a few pennies per dollar.
If YOU are an amazon affiliate, please send me
your link and I will do the same!
THANK YOU!


Until next time,

~Chris





Post dividers and general cutesies,
courtesy of Shabby Blogs






23 comments:

  1. I love your writing style! I'm not much of a clam chowder girl, but mmm...making a sourdough bread bowl for another type of soup is now on my to do list!

    Monica @ theatypicalhousewife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Monica!
      I appreciate your visit and your kind words!!

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Chris,

    I enjoyed this post!

    "I can thread a needle with a Mac truck,
    having learned to drive on the mean streets.
    A stick shift, no less." That is impressive!

    I learnt to drive in Sydney city in a manual car. Lots of traffic whizzing by on both sides. I have to admit I don't have so much driving confidence these days. I'm quite happy driving on our quiet country roads and don't miss the city at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Sue, I so agree abt not missing city driving! While our roads can;t exactly be called 'country,' as yours can, it is much quieter out here 50 miles from the City!
      Thank you, friend, for stopping in!
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  3. I have not been to SF or NY but would love to. Being a coastal girl I love seafood and clam chowder is the best in a bread bowl.
    I can feel your love for your home state in your words. Thanks for sharing!
    Have a great day.
    Dawn
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, if you love clam chowder, try this recipe! I think you will really enjoy it Dawn!

      Thanks for stopping over and for your kind words!!

      Love the In and Out hop!

      Delete
  4. Yum! Love clam chowder. Love the Chesterton quote on your header too. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colleen!
      I appreciate your visit!!

      Take care . "See" you around the blogosphere!

      Delete
  5. We recently went to San Francisco and I just loved every minute of it. We were lucky enough to stay in a hotel that had a balcony that overlooked the wharf! I wish we could have stayed longer! Great photos and love the recipe!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party! I am always glad you stop by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I bet that was some beautiful hotel! Good for you!
      We were not so lucky...we stayed in Berkeley, across the bridge....but it worked out well...Sf does not have the intense traffic of NY so driving to the city each of the 3 AMs we were there, was actually quite quick!
      Thanks for visiting, Cynthia!

      Delete
  6. I love sea food but have never tried clam chowder, I need to look it up now :)

    Thanks for linking up with us at Creative Mondays,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, if you're into seafood, you will surely love clam chowder! Let us know if you try the recipe!
      And thanks for stopping over. I always love your visits!

      Delete
  7. I love San Francisco too!! One of my favorite places to visit. What a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie
      Thanks for visiting!
      I appreciate your kind words and your awesome hop at Sharing Saturday!

      Take care!

      Delete
  8. What a fun trip! I've been to San Fransisco a few times and it's always been exciting. I'll have to plan to go back soon!
    Thanks so much for linking up to Delicious Dish Tuesday!! We hope to see you back next week with another great recipe to share! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alesha, for stopping in and your kind words, as well! It IS a fun city, isn't it?

      I do hope to link again soon...I really enjoy your Tues hop!

      Take care and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

      Delete
  9. Yum! I love bread bowls and I love clam chowder. Thanks so much for linking up with Delicious Dish Tuesday. I am featuring you this week on Coping with Frugality :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that kind of you!! I'm so honored!

      Thank you for hosting your lovely hop! Your blog is delightful!

      Delete
  10. Hi Chris,
    We just love Clam Chowder and always have it when we go to the Oregon Coast, which I wish we were on right now. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Helen, I know! I LOVE the Pacific coast!
      Thank you so very much for taking the time to stop in and for your kind words!

      Be well!

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad you linked up at the Creative Kids Culture Blog Hop #7! I'm having a ball reading the post that you've linked up. Don't forget to grab our button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances~
      Thanks so much for your kind words and for stopping in to visit!!

      Take care

      Delete
  12. You know, I grew up in California but never have been to San Francisco. Some day! It's on my list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.