Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Paddle boats, Pleiades, Pike, Old Growth Pines and Promises~ Wrapping ‘Summer Love’ into a New School Year: My August Catholic Mom.com column

I’ll admit it’s work, but I love it.
I love camping…. the dust clouds and the cicadas’ rhythmic swell and the  sun leaking into  the thin tent nylon in the early morning, insistent.
Our rusty old  camp grill and the Coleman  torch that scatters just a bit of an ethereal Hey-summer-we-survived-this-year’s-algebra-and-ancient-history-and-disappointments-and-triumphs-and-we’re-back-to-settle-in-your-scheduleless -rustic-August glow.

The whispers of “Did you SEE that one?” as a midnight  meteor arcs  across black velvet sky, centuries old pine trees framing. And the hushed, “Hey can you find Cassiopeia up there?”
The clink of the backgammon dice on a rainy day and the splash of dockjumping and King of the Hill on a scorched, sunny one.
  The glassy lake reflecting pines and the lemon yellow and ivory lily pad flowers arching heaven.....

The greeting of those we know from years past with hugs and catching up on our year, how all the kids have grown so.
The connect the dots pattern of mosquito bites we all bear and the roasted to perfection s’mores. The pungent aroma of a campfire through hair and sweatshirts.

And nothing says‘summer’ like that smell.
Click here to read the rest of my August column at Catholic Mom.com
                                               I write for CM~
And thank you for visiting, friends!

If you enjoyed spending time here  today and you'd like to receive posts 
directly, please subscribe!
You simply need to scroll to the top left sidebar and type in your email address.
Then be sure to open the verification email that will arrive in
 your inbox within a few seconds.
I'd love to stay in touch regularly!

Until next time,

~Chris

This post is gratefully linked to the Catholic Bloggers' Network Monthly Link up Blitz.
I'm also linking this post to September's Make a Living Writing First Friday link  party.

13 comments:

  1. I just love your writing...the images and memories that you can evoke. What a gift you have been given!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie!
      You made my day and I so appreciate your visit!

      Take care

      Delete
  2. Oh how you made me miss camping with My Three Sons when they were younger! Beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Nanette!
      I appreciate your kind words and your visit!

      Take care

      Delete
  3. This post brought a smile to my face. Good to look back on the passing season and reflect on the blessings it has brought.I'm glad you found Spiritual Sundays to share with us.

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte!

      I appreciate your visit...
      Take care!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading the rest of this post. I could smell your campfire and taste the marshmallows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Pamela~
      I appreciate your visit and your kind words!!

      Be well.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful and poetic description. You made feel like I was there camping, too. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us THursday on Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, Thank you so much for your kind words.
      I appreciate your visit!

      Delete
  6. Time and family are precious commodities. Happy Link Party - Belinda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda~
      Yes indeed...I appreciate your visit and will head to your own blog now, as well.

      Take care!

      Delete
  7. I never tire of reading your beautiful words and hearing about your adventures. Thanks for linking up with Field Trip Friday! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.