Friday, September 6, 2013

The Homeschool Mother's Journal / Weekly Wrap Up 9/7/13



Hi there and welcome to my little corner of the web!
I very much appreciate your visit....!

Today's my first time ever participating in 
The Homeschool Mother's Weekly Journal,
 hosted by So You Call Yourself a Homeschooler 
and 
Weekly Wrap up hosted by
Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.







I've been reading my blogger  friends'  journals
 now for some time and decided to finally join in the fun!









  • In our homeschool this week~ we began year 9 of our homeschooling journey! Unbelievable that my "little guy" is now in grade 8/9! He is now taller than me and asks rather compelling questions around his curricula, some of which I <gulp> cannot answer. We need to research together, it seems. Boy, am I getting an education, educating my kids!  I say grade  8/9 because chronologically, he is in grade 8, but most of his curricula is grade 9, since he blew through last year's books pretty quickly. Isn't graded-ness the most arbitrary label? Really. Friends, please, please, please keep this homeschooling Mommy in your prayers as I tackle some hefty subjects with him. (gulp.... algebra.) Hoping I'm up for the challenge,  I prayerfully  beg of  the Lord  patience and guidance each day!
  • Here are a few shots of Day 1:

  • Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to shareour schoolroom organization in this post. AND  preparing emotionally and spiritually for the year ahead in this post :  Paddleboats, Pleiades, Pike, Old Growth Pines and Promises: Wrapping Summer Love Into a New School Year.  Although I don't consider myself an expert by any means, it's so inspirational to  share and swap ideas on our homeschooling journey, is it not? I so enjoy it!  As well as learning so much from others on this journey! I just wish I  could gather my homeschool Mom friends for tea  weekly  ( at least ) and chat on all things nerdy, such as curricula!
  • Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…my little man required a stubborn baby tooth be extracted. BUT he did wonderfully well with recovery! A gallon of Friendly's ice cream afterward seemed to do the trick! I don't have a photo of him that day, but this is the cute little  holder the oral surgeon gave him to carry home  his pesky little tooth:
  • My favorite thing this week was…well,  the  boys' genuine interest in their new materials and a desire to get down to work? Awesome. Pretty awesome indeed! Let's hope we can keep the momentum going! You know, at least until the end of the month.  ( !! ) 
  • My kiddos' favorite thing this week was…probably THIS after their first day of work:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
  • Or making this back to school  pencil cake. The easy how-to is here. 
  • Or maybe gathering for my sister/their Aunt Pat's birthday:  
  •                                                                                                                      
  • Things I’m working on…maintaining a personal schedule of sorts. Keeping house, sanity, meals, lesson plans, materials, schedule, sporting equipment ( soccer begins tomorrow!). Also, finding time to blog, which I SO love and maintaining a balance. Hmmmmm.
  • I’m cooking…hubby's been doing most  dinners lately! woohoo! I do have a few plans for some yummy breakfasts next week to get our schooldays started though! (I have to say, love the hubby who is gifted in the kitchen as mine is. He truly is. The Best Chicken Parm Ever. I mean it. But really. The mess afterward? Uggh. I clean as I go. Not him. One drawback. Minor though. Let's not sweat the small stuff.
  • I’m grateful for…I never take good health for granted. A few little bumps in the road have caused me to be double grateful and not to assume.
  • I rewarded my kids this week by…wrapping a few awesome/adorable/practical back-to-school items. Plus, that cake on the first day!
  • A  quote from The Ultimate Homeschool Planner..."The heart of man plans his day, but the Lord establishes his steps."  Proverbs 16:9 .......  Good for me to remember and keep close in heart as I plan, plan, plan, plan. The little. The big. The everyday.



  • Thank you so much, friends, for spending some time here!
    Please subscribe so that we can remain in touch regularly!
    You can do so by scrolling to the box at  the top left sidebar.

    Until next time,

    ~Chris

    12 comments:

    1. LOVE your week and your photos! And, the beach looked awesome! What a wonderful treat after schoolwork!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Lisa
        Thank you, friend, for the kind words and for stopping in!

        Be well and have a lovey weekend!

        Delete
    2. Really lovely! I was more concerned over that baby tooth though than school!!! HaHa! The ice cream was definitely a nice added touch:) Enjoyed hearing about your week!! xoxox Denise

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Denise, thank you so much!
        This was a lot of fun.....you think there's really not "much" to write about til you get going on it!
        Love your visits always!

        Be well and have a lovely weekend!

        Delete
    3. Chris,

      I'd love to sit and sip tea and chat with my online homeschooling friends too!

      "Boy, am I getting an education, educating my kids!" So am I! I am so grateful to have this second chance at a proper education.

      A swim at the end of the school day? Oh that would be so nice!

      I enjoyed reading your journal. Enjoy your weekend. Sounds like you deserve a couple of relaxing days!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Aw, thanks, Sue! I'm eager to read your families' latest happenings too, at your unschool blog this week!

        Thanks for the visit, friend! Always love when you stop in!


        Delete
    4. Keeping balance in my schedule is a biggie for me too... looks like they are ready for another school year. I have one in 4th grade this year and I've started looking ahead and thinking 'how am I going to teach next year?' But I guess taking it one year at a time we'll get there. I pray you have a very successful homeschooling year!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Tonia, for your visit and for sharing your thoughts.....

        Yes, with His help!

        I wish the same for you...much success. I hope to see you around the blogosphere, Tonia.
        Be well.

        Delete
    5. Congrats on doing your first link up! I totally understand trying to keep balance. I find it difficult too....so jealous of your beach pictures! We've not lived close to the beach in years!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, balance, balance, balance!

        THANK YOU for stopping in to visit. I did love writing the weekly WU and the Weekly Journal!

        And yes, we enjoy the beach once in a while...!!

        be well!!

        Delete
    6. I enjoyed reading about your first week!! I hope you keep journaling about your year. I usually start off and then it fizzles out but I'm hoping to keep it up, it helps me to stay accountable too.

      Poor kid, starting the school year off with having to get a tooth pulled but, hey, beach and cake in the same week?? That was awesome.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Adena~
        Thanks so much for stopping in!
        Yes, I love the idea of staying accountable to myself by journaling each week!

        I look fwd to visiting your journal as well!

        take care!!

        Delete

    Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
    I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
    I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

    Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

    If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
    campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.