Friday, October 11, 2013

Catholic Woman's Almanac/Daybook ~ In Our Homeschool: WWII, The Government Travesty, Our Lady, Art, My Son's Courtroom in About Ten Years and More 1012/13



Hi there and welcome to my corner of the web!~
What fun to journal the week's events and to read others' journeys along the way as well!
The  routine of reflecting upon  my week
 has been so helpful to me
in sorting thoughts and keeping organized!
And I so enjoy and find encouraging, others' posts as well!

pencildivider
In our homeschool this week~
Grade 8/9~ Math:  Algebra! Absolute value, distributive property, grouping symbols, order of op and tons of analyzing, creating our own word problems given equations and situations ....
History~ FDR's presidency, analyzing a few of his speeches, namely "The German Menace" in 1941, WWII, Hitler's reign of terror, begin reading The Diary of a Young Girl.
My favorite American history resource these days is 
American Issues: Primary Source Reader in US History . It was recommended to me years ago by a history prof; I bought a copy when my kids were tiny and now I can't believe we're reading original sources and discussing! It's a must - have for history study. A must have! No excerpts and no surfing the net to find the speeches, and etc. It's all right there.
Science~ Earth Science: contour maps, 3 labs on  sunspot activity, equipment safety  and graphing, calculating density and rate of change.
Latin~ conjugations, translations, history
English~ grammar, short story, creative writing, vocabulary: Worldy Wise book 9 completed chapter 4 and took test.
Tech writing ( Kev writes for a tech e zine regularly...tutorials and info on code and all things geek-y!  Here's his latest column: Free, Secure, Encrypted Messaging Software . Go check it out. We are really proud of his initiative in using his knowledge positively by writing.
pencildivider



Grade 5: Math~ Fractions...equivalent, adding and subtracting, GCF and LCM
History~ Don Miguel Hidalgo's attempt at liberating Mexico, Simon Bolivar's liberation of Venezuala
Science~ Matter, atoms, elements, experiments with volume, buoyancy, and all things physical science. We're using Hands of a Child Lapbook on matter. I'm not an affiliate; I just really like how they set up the unit. If you're into learning more, click here.
French~ basic transalations
Spelling, phonics, phonic elements~ lots more to come on this and our materials in the upcoming post of my dyslexia series coming this week.
Guitar and piano study/lessons, parish choir practice
Author studies, creative writing.

Both kids~ Tons of geography, music study (weekly  violin  lessons and how cool is this: weekly  orchestra practice!) More on that next week as they only have had one rehearsal, being new to the group.  They love it and it's a challenge! 
Study of Picasso in art. Soccer practice and games. My little guy
scored a GOAL at last week's game! His first during a game situation! WooHoo! He pushed past their defense and finally scored.


pencildivider

The liturgical year/feast day this week~
Since this week, we observed the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, I decided that we must, we absolutely must get back to our daily rosary. Why on earth it takes a feast day to give me a jolt, I don't know. My kids are big Rosary fans and have made a few of their own. In this post from last Advent, I share a little about our Rosary making endeavors. 

We read this article around Our Lady's influence in the Battle of Lepanto on October 7, 1571. If you don't know much about this time period, I urge you to read it. I did not know one thing about this until very recently and I'm finding it fascinating. Yes, I'm a product of Catholic schools. And yet, what I still have to learn about my faith is unquantifiable.


The Battle of Lepanto
The article is adapted from Ten Dates Every Catholic Should Know, a book I have come to love! And rely upon.

Also, do you know The Rosary Comic Book?? It's a bit on the young-ish side given the age of my own kids, but really they still enjoy it.  It includes the Luminous Mysteries and being huge Bl JPII fans....huge...we were so happy about that!  Kids get  highly involved in the conic for each mystery.

Which brings me to...BIG NEWS~
Speaking of the man, The Man, our main man, Blessed John Paul II, who we adore and look up to, ( I write about being in  this almost - saint's presence a number of times here) and was I devastated to lose him. Twas the end of an era. And how can that be eight and a half years ago?? 
Well, as my son will be blessed to receive the sacrament of confirmation in the spring of 2014 and though he still has much prep, he did decide upon the name he'll choose.
Ready? Drumroll: 
Karol

Talk about proud. <sigh> Okay, so the hubby and I looked at each other when Kev told us and then went on to quip, "Well, he was the quintessential moral compass of the 20th century and he defines Catholicism.  He's my hero."
 .......and our expressions said, " Well, we did something right."  Amid the chaos and the rolled eyes and the complaints about why-do-I-have-to-do-this-I'll-never-use-it, the family squabbles, the lost patience.  There's a glimmer of right.
So happy!

pencildivider


Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share~
Well, I was going to share my multiplication fact  file card "system," but since the hubby took my camera to work because he gave  his class an assignment to  dress  as Mrs Latitude and Mr Longitude today,  ( how cool is that) I can't take any photos.
So.
There IS something I found this week...actually two somethings, around the study of art.
Do you know Art History Mom?? Do check out her site.
Also, this book: 13 Artists Kids Should Know.

Love it. We are studying Picasso now and will hopefully do some painting and collage creations in his style. If you missed any of my Artful Friday series, I have a couple of artists' studies here as well as some fun craft projects. 



pencildivider

Best thing I've read online all week~
You. Must. Read. This. Must.More of Daniel Greenfield's awesomeness over at his blog The Sultan Knish.  Go there now and be immersed in the truth of our current administration. He takes on the tough issues and tells it like it is.

Which brings me to.........

pencildivider

A quote from  this week~
As K and I study in depth, WWII:
"Democracy alone, of all forms of government, enlists the full force of men's enlightened will...It is the most humane, the most advanced, and, in the end, the most unconquerable of all forms of human society. The democratic aspiration is no mere recent phase of human history...We...would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." - 
in his Third Inauguration Speech, Pres Franklin Delano Roosevelt
January 20, 1941

The Greatest Generation indeed.

I daresay that my Dad, born during WWI, the war to end all wars, 
enlisted in 1941  in WWII, 
would be rather ashamed of the leaders and lawmakers
 of the country that he gave up so much to defend.
Shutdown?
Do you know about The Million Vet March occurring in DC tomorrow?
Please educate yourself on the travesty.
The betrayal 
our government is inflicting upon our veterans and our active military 
is simply shameful.


pencildivider

What we were up to this week~




 A Chinese Checkers marathon on a nice day.
 Spelling practice

 GOAL!!!!!


pencildivider

Shameless Self Promo~ and also promo of the lovely Catholic Mom as well as other contributors to Catholic Mom. Go check out the link to see today's "featured  Mom" ( !!)
How cool is that??
T, K, pogo sticks and friendship between Moms, encouraging one another on our journey. That's about as good as it gets. And I'm certainly blessed.
Sarah is so so kind as are the authors of the wonderful titles offered  to host the contest.
Don't know about the contest ? Go click over to find out.


pencildivider











pencildivider




My posts this week~














This post is from the week prior, but if you haven;t seen the video ( it's short)
that my son edited, click and enjoy:


video


pencildivider

Please visit next week for these anticipated posts~

* Part 3 of my series on homeschooling and dyslexia, where we'll discuss theory, strategies and  teacher resources around diagnosis and intervention.

* Our trip to Hannibal Missouri this summer on our cross country trip and part 1 of my series on a study of the life and works of  Mark Twain.

* Photos and such, as always, of our week!

Thank you friends, thank you always,
for spending some of your precious time here at my spot on the web.

I'm gratefully linking to Simple Woman's Daybook, 
Weekly Wrap Up and
Homeschool Mother's Weekly Journal.

pencildivider

Don't forget to subscribe to Campfires and Cleats
 by scrolling to the subscribe button at the  top left sidebar.


Until next time,

~Chris


22 comments:

  1. This post is so full!! That little contract just melts my heart! And congrats to Kevin (and Mom & Dad!) -- what an exciting time in life! And I'm a little jealous of his mad computer skills...just thought you should know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for your kindness, Carla!
      I really appreciate your visit and your sweet comments!
      Yeah, as for Kev, he taught himself all those tips and tricks. I really don't worry when my comp has a problem; I just hand it over to him to fix! Pretty neat.

      Take care and have a great weekend!
      Hope you get a few minutes of down time to regroup for the week ahead!

      Delete
  2. Please post any painting and collage creations in Picasso's (or anyone's) style, and link to Cath Bloggers FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, Christian. Thank you for stopping by and asking!

      Take care

      Delete
  3. Chris, Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yours looks awesome. It's a great memoir for your family's journey. Let's stay in touch. Sue

    http://journeying-sue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks, Sue! I appreciate the visit! Love to stay in touch...following!

      Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  4. Wow, Chris! You get a lot done in a week! :) I haven't heard of the Million Vet March, so I'm heading over there now. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meghan...you, as well! I love your Weekly Wrap Up.....a peek into your week is always enlightening!

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Oooo! I love your post - how you have laid it all out. I love how you keep the log of what you have done for the week. I think it would help make me fill like I accomplished more if I looked at it the way you do. I'm definitely returning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,
      Thanks so much for sweet comments! I really appreciate that! You know, ti does offer a glimpse into how much we really get accomplished, doesn't it? That's one ( of many) things I love about doing the Weekly wrap/HS Journal...you think there's been so many stops and starts and so much craziness in life that week and when you sit and really ponder what got done across the curric, it's reassuring! Good point!

      Be well and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. You've had a jam-packed week! I especially enjoyed seeing your history resources - thanks for the recommendations, I took notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, how nice of you to stop and comment so kindly!

      I do hope some of them are practical and useful to you. I love the sharing we get to do by blogging; I, too, pick up wonderful ideas and resources!

      Have a lovely Sunday!

      Delete
  7. Hi Chris - stopping by for visit after being out of town for a while...you are raising your kids right and teaching them the faith! Good for you and thank you. Our society surely needs more moms like you! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Deb, that's so sweet of you; you made my day.

      Thank you for the visit. I appreciate it!

      Delete
  8. Fantastic Almanac.
    I love books, so I've bookmarked several.
    Welcome to CWA. Oh and thank you for bringing attention to the Veteran's issues. My husband is 22 years Army retired. What the US Government doesn't do that they promised they would is ridiculous! Blessings,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Emily, for letting me know abt the linkup! I really know I'll enjoy coming over to link and reading a few of the others' posts.

      Awful, what is going on with the shutdown and gov't denial of veterans. Tragic

      Thank you got stopping in, Emily and commenting!

      Delete
  9. Chris,

    What a lot you accomplish in a week! Thank you for sharing. It's very interesting to hear what you've been up to.

    I hopped over and read Kev's article. I can't say I understood every word as I'm not a geek, but wow! he sounds so knowledgeable and professional. He's a wonderful writer.

    Congratulations on being a featured mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue and thanks for visiting!
      Yes, I gree, I understood very little of Kev's article as well...though he does ask me to double check his grammar before he submits and while I can help him by being a second pair of eyes with that, I didn't catch any of the step by step. Though the topic of internet security and Big Brother is pretty alarming to all of us!
      And thanks for the kind words. I was rather surprised and delighted at sarah choosing me as a mom in the series for CM.

      Be well, friend and thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  10. Oh this was so much fun to read through! So many ideas and links to reignite a tired homeschool momma.

    My oldest son has a Pogo Stick. That toy is so useful for homeschooling. When he has a bit to much energy for school, he can jump it out in a couple of minutes and get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jenny!! I appreciate the visit and your very kind words! That really means a lot to me.

      Great idea with the pogo....getting the energy out! Love it.

      Take care, Jenny! thanks for stopping in

      Delete
  11. Wow, it looks like you had a busy week! I'm hopping over from A Mama's Story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Casey!
      I appreciate the visit!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.