Saturday, October 19, 2013

Daybook/Catholic Woman's Almanac: History, Whovian Parties, Hands on Physical Science, Cheesecake, Easy Dinners, Orchestra and More 10/19/13


What fun to journal the week's events and to read others' journeys along the way as well!
The  routine of reflecting upon  my week
 through the help of the daybook/journal prompts has been so helpful to me
in sorting thoughts and keeping organized!

This week I was online a bit more than I planned and so
I do need to keep this an abridged journal, of a sort, so I can tend to a few other things around the house.....
Though I'd rather be blogging!
pencildivider


In our homeschool this week~ Gr 8/9
History More WWII, reading/discussing Diary of  Young Girl, still. It's rather haunting for both of us and I'm not sure we'll finish it;  FDR's "Four Freedoms" Speech examined ( check out his speech delivered here on YouTube)  as well as The Atlantic Charter between Churchill and FDR; ( loving this source~  American IssuesPrimary Source Reader in US History .) events within the European and Pacific Theaters through 1943; examining lots of my Dad's photos from his service in Manila as a US Army Infantryman.
Math LOTS and LOTS of algebra. I am beginning to see the practicality of signing high school level kids up for online courses...for a variety of reasons. Boy am I learning algebra.
English Author study and cont our American short story course; grammar, writing, tech stuff: blogging, writing code, javascript and online graphic design; 
Vocab Wordly Wise book 9 all lesson 5 and test.



Latin~ cont in Henle Latin
Science~ Earth Sci topics...all covered with hubby as this is his area. More labs, lots of math and reference table work; lat and long, P and S waves
Faith~ Confirmation prep, and moving on in these areas:  Apologetics, saint study, 
Catholic Social Justice. And I did tell you last week how happy we were that kev came to choose the name Karol for confirmation? Yay.

Grade 5~ History~ Early 1800s ~ Mexico gains indep from Spain and the slave trade ends...examine John Locke's writing on freedom and equality
Math~ New: equiv fractions. Review: + and - fractions, fract part of a number
Science~ Physical sci experiments: Also, atoms and the movement of atoms in each of the four states.
Here is~ What happens to  volume when temperature increases...marshmallow  heating in microwave for different periods of time:


Yes, expansion.....
But it's still fun to do  ( and snack on the treats as well). We watched it happen after 10, then 20, then 60 seconds in the microwave........... 
Also experiments with salinity and buoyancy:
The good ole egg floating in salt water~~

Faith~ Seton's gr 5 FYC plus moving in on Our Catholic Legacy
English...spelling and phonic pattern of focus, grammar, punctuation, author study, writing, cursive
Guitar lesson & general  crafty fun stuff

For both boys: soccer, violin lessons and orchestra rehearsal 
We never got to finish our art study  of Picasso....hopefully next week.

So proud of my kids when ~ K spent about three hours with T typing and jazzing up his brother's 11th birthday invitation...which brings me to.....

I'm creating~ lots and lots of plans for a birthday!! An 11th regeneration party! How can he be 11? Yup, you guessed it:  Doctor Who! My friend, Denise, my super creative and hugely Who fan, and I, have been swapping ideas and fun things all timey-wimey! THANK YOU Denise. What fun. Now, down to work making lists of all Galifreyan foods, crafts  and such.

I'm praying for~ the brother of a dear friend.

I'm pondering ~ the perpetual balancing act of all things homeschooling, extra curricular and still mainlining a rhythm of the home that is positive and hopefully faith filled.

I'm cooking~ Easy easy ( and some fast food! Yup pizza delivery too) 
My kids are loving my chicken and pork "strips." I cut up pork chops or chicken cutlets,  roll them in egg and then  bread crumbs, bake and then we dip in Sauce-y Susan and serve with rice and veggies. 
One night I made my easy -peasy cheesecake because we just needed a treat:
Here goes~
graham cracker crust
8 oz cream cheese
3 tsp vanilla
1/2 tspn cinnamon
1/2 butter
Add top off with  berries if you like.....
We use canned cherry. Yum.

pencildivider

The liturgical year~ Absolutely loving the rhythm of saying the rosary before we begin school. Even if we're harried and maybe annoyed at one another for some minor thing, it's all quieted in our reflection and prayer. We're armed and ready to attack the day afterward. 
I've shared before, but I love it: The Rosary Comic Book I need to work  exercise into my general life and I was thinking of walking with light weights and bringing the rosary with me to "do" something productive and make the walk more "interesting." I think this would be an alone thing, a little Mom-break.

Helpful homeschool tip or idea to share~I'm going to send you over to my friend Sue's blog for this one! You likely know Sue from her hugely  practical and welcoming
 blog, Stories from an Unschooling Family. At her site, you'll rediscover a treasure trove of info and resources which awaits. So go and enjoy he wealth of knowledge there. Those links on the sidebars will keep us all clicking for quite some time. And thank you, Sue! 



pencildivider

An awesome blog you should visit~  My friend, Anne Marie's blog, Future Flying Saucers and  facebook pageFuture Flying Saucers is all about Bible study, devotionals, kids and homesschooling! What could be better??  We all need more of this in our day...!! Thank you Anne Marie! So, go! Before you miss anything!


pencildivider

A quote from this week~
After the paraphernalia from a particularly messy construction job seemed to somehow make its way into our den.......:
Kid: "Um, Dad, if you don't clean that up, Mommy will be on the warpath."
Hubby: " Gotcha, thanks for the heads up"


pencildivider
Some pictures of our week~

"Timmy the Clown" booked his first gig making balloon creations!
Here he is after the party he worked on Sunday!


 pumpkin picking....&
........hayride at the farm





 Sunset on a gorgeous night...
That's our neighbor's driveway, across the street
 Soccer soccer soccer
Timmy on defense, in orange


A buoyancy, density,  displacement experiment


pencildivider



My posts this week~
Small Successes Thursday~  Catholic Mom Link up
(Come join in!!! 
Click my link to add your post!)





 In Our Homeschool:
 WWII, The Government Travesty, Our Lady, Art,  
Confirmation News,
My Son's Courtroom in About Ten Years and More 
10/12/13

pencildivider
Please come back next week for these anticipated posts~

**The next installment in my current series 
on dyslexia and homeschooling:
 and 

*Our  trip to the pumpkin patch!

*Some  "Ode to Joy" on violin

*Next week's weekly wrap/journal

pencildivider
Thank you friends, thank you always,
for spending some of your precious time here at my spot on the web.

I'm gratefully linking to Simple Woman's Daybook, 
Weekly Wrap Up,
Catholic Woman's Almanac and
Homeschool Mother's Weekly Journal.

pencildivider

Don't forget to subscribe to Campfires and Cleats
 by scrolling to the subscribe button at the  top left sidebar.


Until next time,

~Chris









20 comments:

  1. Chris,

    Sitting here all packed up and waiting to see if we'll be evacuated due to an approaching bush fire. Nothing left to do so I thought I'd hop over and distract myself from what's going on around us by reading your latest post. And what do I find? A generous link up to my blog! Thank you so much for your very kind words. I'm smiling widely. Nicest thing that has happened all day.

    If we have to evacuate our house, my blog will still be there to visit. That's the wonderful thing about the Internet.,,, not affected by fires!

    As always I enjoyed reading about your week and looking at your photos.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Sue, thank God you can keep us posted online so we know how you all are! I read your FB status on Thur and was so busy yesterday that I never checked back in! Hang in there; we'll be thinking of you.
      Have not heard anything on the news here and hopefully we will not---that it gets under control and doesn't make news!
      Oh my gosh---your blog is a treasure and I'm so happy to share. Maybe someone reading here has not discovered it yet! How perfect and lucky for her to hear....

      God bless, Sue! Thoughts and prayers! Sit tight, Elvis Family!

      Delete
  2. Very awesome stuff!!! Okay, I saw my name mentioned, NOW I'm going to have to post my TARDIS regeneration pics at my blog! :) Okay, Whovian minds want to know what Algebra you are doing? I don't know if I ever knew! I'm sure you have it worked it out, but khanacademy on line, is helpful when looking up an operation and seeing it explained or approached definitely. Just a tip if I didn't mention it before :) Enjoy the weekend!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes yes! Share your DH creativity! We all want details!

    Ok, as for algebra, we are mainly using MUS, but also a text pub by Glencoe that a site called Purplemath correlates with ( instruction and practice examples) and I just discovered Video Texts. I ordered one module on amazon and really like it. Very explanatory.

    So, sort of a combo of resources. Plus, online ex that go with the Regents test he'll take in June.

    I did get your email and lots to say, but I'll re later b.c we are heading to the soccer field and too much to say in the time I have. I feel badly that what you described happened....

    Love ya
    xoxoxo
    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the Unschooling Family blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for your visit, Becca!!
      Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  5. We have friends in the UK who are huge Dr Who fans, I could never get my kids interested, they thought the creatures were scary:(. Love your post on Hannibal we are planning a trip next summer. Next time you are near by let me know and maybe we can met one day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be AWESOME!
      Yeah, we're huge Whovians.....! Well, maybe your kids will rediscover DW when they are a bit older! We've found it so enjoyable.!
      Thanks for the kind words and for the visit!

      Delete
  6. What a full and interesting almanac!

    I would really like to try the practice of praying the Rosary before starting our lessons in the morning. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia,
      I hope it goes well for you! It's been a blessing to begin the day like that. It actually kind of turns around a difficult AMand makes the already "good" AMs better. I hope you find it smooth....:)

      Thank you Marcia, for stopping in and for the kind words!

      Delete
  7. Your pictures are great! I just clicked on the Rosary Comic Book link you left! Can't wait to check it out and give it to my 9 year old for Christmas in his stocking. What do you think? He loved comics (so does my husband so maybe if I leave it out conspicuously, he'll read it?!?!?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, great idea! I truly think your son will enjoy it tremendously!

      Heading over to your blog to say HI...:) Thank you for stopping in and for your kind words!

      Delete
  8. I always love your weekly updates because it makes me feel like I have so much extra time :)! I don't know how you fit in everything you do. Happy birthday to your precious little boy. Mine is 11 too!
    I love your son's "Mommy will be on the warpath" line. They know us too well, don't they! Sounds like something my son would say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Candace, you made my day!
      Thank you for your kind words....:) I don't fit it all in; really, I don't. But your positivity is awesome.
      Yes, thanks for the bday wishes.:) It;s not for some weeks yet, But the party planning will take on a life of its own and so I need to start getting organized now!
      Thanks Candace for the visit. Take care

      Delete
  9. I love this post. My teens are Whovians too. It's a fun show. And I love the Rosary Comic. I shared it with my daughters when they were young. We still have a copy. Many blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Yes, isn't The Rosary Comic so lovely?
      Thanks Susan, for stopping in! I appreciate your visit.

      Delete
  10. Oh the quote was too funny!! Algebra...UGH!! Who knew the day I tossed all my algebra work the last day of high school and did a little victory dance because I was, never, ever going to study algebra again--I would be the homeschool mother of 7!! God has an awesome sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely hilarious! Love the way you describe it too....:)

      Thank you Jenny for stopping in.

      Delete
  11. LOL about the learning algebra! I'm still on multiples and primes with my elementary students ... I am looking forward to all that!
    I love Sue's blog too. Such a refreshingly different place to visit.
    And I love graham cracker cheesecake - mmmm I might have to go make some soon...
    Hope you're having a wonderful week! Lucinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucinda~
      so happy that you visited! Thank you!!

      Yes I agree about Sue and her blog...she's awesome! Love your word...I think 'refreshing' is perfect to describe her style.

      Take care. "See" you soon!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.