Monday, November 11, 2013

Let's Celebrate Doctor Who's 50th with a TARDIS Cake!

Anyone who's read my blog even a handful of times, knows that my family is seriously Whovian!  From Doctor Who parties, to  Doctor Who costumes for Halloween,  Doctor Who mugs, Doctor Who posters to Doctor Who T shirts and even owning a replica of  the 11th Doctor's sonic screwdriver, we're pretty much over the top.  

We're getting set to throw our little guy a Whovian themed party for his 11th in just a few weeks. So,  coming soon? All you need to throw a Galifreyan bash from invitations to regeneration treats ( fish fingers and custard anyone?) , to alien crafts, wielding Madame Kovarian's eye drive, roasting marshmallow adipose and finishing the night by gifting the guests with a starry Christmas tree ornament favor!  I'll get that post together shortly.  We'remaking our own TARDIS, but not at all  as elaborately as the one which  my friend, Denise made with her Whovian hubby and kids!  You must go visit her!

For the upcoming party, we'll be attempting a Dalek cake. My little man is pretty creative and he's good in the kitchen. His skill, plus some ideas from pinterest, should enable us to pull it off!

You might have heard some buzz that Whovians among us are gearing up to celebrate the Doctor's 50th anniversary. What better way for us to jump in and join the party  than with a TARDIS cake?  For the uninitiated, the  TARDIS is the Doctor's "spaceship," whose acronym represents "Time And Relative Dimension In Space." If you're not Whovian, that little tidbit of info  plus this photo of his Police Public Call Box time machine will surely peak your curiosity! I hope. Because everyone needs The Doctor in his/her life.

And here's a cake we made for my older son's party recently:
It's very basic, but cute, right?


Here's all you need to make the cake and jump into the DW festivities:

1. Cake~  Your fave cake recipe or a boxed mix, any flavor.
 ( I cheat and use a box most of the time! ) Use a 9 x 12 baking pan.

2.  Frosting ~ Your fave icing dyed TARDIS blue.  Here's my "famous" cream cheese frosting, if you'd like. Just keep adding blue food color until you get the unmistakable hue of TARDIS blue!

3. Adorn ~ with the following:
*White icing writer for words
*Sticks of gun for windows
*Black icing writer for door handles
*Yellow and orange jelly beans or other candies for light on TARDIS roof
Voila!!

Now go enjoy a few episodes and you'll see what all the hype is about!

Friends, may I ask for your support for Campfires and Cleats?
My blog was honored by being nominated in  two categories at 
 The Homeschool Post Blog Awards!!
I'd be honored by your votes! 

Can you please visit  the categories below
 to click the dot next to my blog name 
and then click the VOTE box at the page bottom?


and  


THANK YOU!

Don't forget to subscribe to Campfires and Cleats
 by scrolling to the subscribe button at the  top left sidebar.
I'd love to stay in touch regularly!

Until next time,

~Chris


21 comments:

  1. Fishfingers and custard... oh yes! I wonder if I'm up to a Tardis cake for my daughter's birthday... you make it sound very do-able!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, yes! It IS doable!

      can't wait to see some pics of YOUR Tardis!

      Thanks for stopping by, Lucinda!

      Delete
  2. loveitloveitLOVEIT!!! We are huge Whovians here too....so cannot wait for the 50th ann. It will be sad but I'm excited to see how the 12th will be. Thinking of doing a DW theme cake as well for my daughter's 13th bday in March. Yours looks great! (btw you got my vote 2x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess! How exciting...yes yes, do a DW theme cake. If I can do it, you can. Look how easy this one is!

      Thank you so very much for the votes and the encouragement as well!

      Take care and thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  3. We are DEFINITELY MAKING A CAKE for the occasion! I love the windows idea, sticks of gum (did you use any special kind?) They look squarish, and perfect! what a great idea!!! Keep the enthusiasm going !!! FANNnnTASTIC! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. This just won my heart. Everything (especially cakes) can be upgraded (cybermen reference haha) with a little dash of The Doctor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, funniest comment in a looooooong time! Love it!

      Thank you, Jazmin, for stopping by and for the smile~!

      Delete
  5. Love this!! I'm a Doctor Who fan as well, and was just thinking I needed to do a Who related post this month to celebrate the 50th anniversary too! Thanks for sharing your post :) Excited for the 23rd November!

    Have a great party!

    Hannah ♫
    Sew Lah Tea Dough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah,
      So happy you stopped by! Will head over to your blog as well now for a visit...

      Thanks for coming over and for the kind words!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for linking up your recipe at Good Tastes Tuesday. See you next week. You can link up your recipe as early as Monday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Will do!
      Love your GTT hop, friend!

      Delete
  7. Being in the UK, the Dr. is big over here, though I've never been able to get into it myself, but perhaps sometime...Thank you for joining the Mom's Library party. I'll be featuring you this week at Crystal's Tiny Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, how sweet, Crystal! Thank you for the visit and the kind words about the feature....so exciting!

      Delete
  8. Love love love Dr who, I watched it as a kid and now love to sit with my kids and watch it - I think it's better than ever now (though Tom Baker will always be my Dr!) I made a slightly wonky dalek cake once, your tardis looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia
      WOW, well, we are tackling the dalek cake and I'd love to have seen yours!! I'm hoping for the best with it....

      Never watched it as a kid - but love the 9th, 10th and 11th Doctors' seasons!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. You are the most clever cake-maker I have ever seen! Your birthday parties must totally rock. I want to come to your house! :-) Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Lisa!
      Wish you guys were closer...would love to have you included in our gatherings, friend!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. You guys are amazing, and I have never even saw Dr. Who - so I don't have any idea what you are talking about. But the cake looks super delicious.

    Very well done Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Lisa!
      Your comments are always so sweet!

      And I think YOU are awesome, even though you're not a DW fan!

      Thanks for the visit, too!



      Delete
  11. I have never understood the whole craze over Dr. Who as I really have never seen the show. Though I am a bit intrigued now because of your post here. And I love the cake! Thanks so much for linking it up at Kids and a Mom in the Kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and for hosting !!

      take care!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.