Sunday, November 3, 2013

Our Jesse Tree Traditions + Everything You Need to Start Your Own!



Well, November is upon us and you know what that means...Gorgeous foliage of crimson, yellows, burnt oranges. Turkey crafts, reading and rereading about the plight of the pilgrims, counting our blessings, reveling in well loved holiday recipes and ....... Thanksgiving! 

Guess what else? Advent is right around the corner!  If we start now, we'll be all set with our Advent resources and supplies on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend, which is when Advent begins!

My family's been loving the Jesse tree tradition over the past few years.  For a little history on the tradition, click here to Catholic Culture. Each advent,  the immersion into scripture and the general fun at witnessing their crafts, simple though they are, brighten and bring the season to life in the ornaments on the tree, have become a cherished ritual.

I'd love to share what we do with you and perhaps if you have not begun this tradition and you'd like to, you might get a jump start with some of these resources!

~The Symbols/the Scriptures~
First of all, here are the symbols as well as corresponding scripture verses for each day of Jess Tree ornament making~

December 1 Creation: Gen. 1:1-31; 2:1-4 Symbols: sun, moon, stars, animals, earth
December 2 Adam and Eve: Gen. 2:7-9, 18-24 Symbols: tree, man, woman
December 3 Fall of Man: Gen. 3:1-7 and 23-24 Symbols: tree, serpent, apple with bite
December 4 Noah: Gen. 6:5-8, 13-22; 7:17, 23, 24; 8:1, 6-22 Symbols: ark, animals, dove, rainbow
December 5 Abraham: Gen. 12:1-3 Symbols: torch, sword, mountain
December 6 Isaac: Gen. 22:1-14 Symbols: bundle of wood, altar, ram in bush
December 7 Jacob: Gen. 25:1-34; 28:10-15 Symbols: kettle, ladder
December 8 Joseph: Gen. 37:23-28; 45:3-15 Symbols: bucket, well, silver coins, tunic
December 9 Moses: Ex. 2:1-10 Symbols: baby in basket, river and rushes
December 10 Samuel: 1 Sam. 3:1-18 Symbols: lamp, temple
December 11 Jesse: 1 Sam. 16:1-13 Symbols: crimson robe, shepherd's staff
December 12 David: 1 Sam. 17:12-51 Symbols: slingshot, 6-pointed star
December 13 Solomon: 1 Kings 3:5-14, 16-28 Symbols: scales of justice, temple, two babies and sword
December 14 Joseph: Matt. 1:18-25 Symbols: hammer, saw, chisel, angle
December 15 Mary: Matt. 1:18-25; Luke 1:26-38 Symbols: lily, crown of stars, pierced heart
December 16 John the Baptist: Mark 1:1-8 Symbols: shell with water, river
December 17 Jesus is Wisdom: Sirach (or Ecclesiasticus in old Bibles) 24:2; Wisdom 8:1Symbols: oil lamp, open book
December 18 Jesus is Lord: Ex. 3:2; 20:1 Symbols: burning bush, stone tablets
December 19 Jesus is Flower of Jesse: Isaiah 11:1-3 Symbols: flower, plant with flower
December 20 Jesus is Key of David: Isaiah 22:22 Symbols: key, broken chains
December 21 Jesus is the Radiant Dawn: Psalm 19:6-7 (in older Bibles this will be Psalm 18) Symbols: sun rising or high in sky
December 22 Jesus is King of the Gentiles: Psalm 2:7-8; Ephesians 2:14-20 Symbols: crown, scepter
December 23 Jesus is Emmanuel: Isaiah 7:14; 33:22 Symbols: tablets of stone, chalice and host
December 24 Jesus is Light of the World: John 1:1-14 Symbols: candle, flame, sun
~Scriptural Resources~
Following, is a book I use ( which may be a bit juvenile this year for my kids.....we'll see how it goes) as well as the version of our Bible that we use to follow up and read the actual scripture verse supporting that ornament's "story."


The Jesse Tree by Geraldine McCaughrean






~Ornaments~
There are so so many kits out there
 OR
 one can guide her family or class to make their own ornaments,
 based on that day's scripture verse. 
This is what we use to copy,
 color and then hang on the tree with glossy red ribbon.:

The Jesse Tree Kit by Lynn M Simms

I know my limitations in terms of time and crafty-ability. 
This book is perfect for me and my family right now.


~The Tree~

18" Mini Artificial Pine Tree with Wood Base



                                                                 
I bought a small 2 foot tree which we use as our Jesse Tree 
and also our birthday tree at Michael's
 a few years ago in January during a post Christmas sale.
But I did find an 18 inch tree  here on amazon, which is pretty inexpensive, too...
For the sake of convenience, you might want to check it out.
Although, sometimes you can't beat those 40% coupons at Michael's!
(Yes, I am an amazon affiliate.)

~The "finished product" as well as
shots of the ornaments in the making~
These shots were taken 5 years ago!!










Our Advent wreath traditions as well as O Antiphon Days resources

 will be coming soon.

 I'd love it if you came back to visit!



 Friends, as always,  
thank you for stopping over and 
spending some of your precious time 
here at my home on the web!
Have you signed up to receive my posts in your email inbox?
   If not, just enter your email address here
so we can be in touch regularly!

Enter your email address:




You might wish to follow on Facebook as well.....

Until next time,

~Chris

...and BTW:

REALLY!!

Post dividers and general cutesies,
courtesy of Shabby Blogs 

27 comments:

  1. I love this, Chris! I am stealing this tradition. My son will really enjoy it. Thanks so much for sharing, my friend. Pinning this on my Christmas board so I won't forget :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candace! I appreciate the visit and the kind words! For me, it;s nice and simple to do each day during advent. I can't get complicated or we'll never take care of each ornament.....

      Hope all is well!

      God bless, friend

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michelle!
      I appreciate the visit!

      Delete
  3. I love the Jesse Tree and printed it all off last year. Thanks for giving me a glimpse into your life with all those fun pictures. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Judith!
      I appreciate your kind words and your visit!
      Take care!

      Delete
  4. Chris, I love Jesse Trees! We're doing our first one this year...I've been making the ornaments out of felt (and it's been a beautiful labor of love). Good luck on the award nomination, and check out our tree if you have a moment! http://enterundermyroof.blogspot.com/2013/05/activity-making-jesse-tree-for-advent.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit, Jen!

      I remember you avidly making those orn way back in July! Good for you!

      Will come by again and take a peek!

      Take care, friend!

      Delete
  5. We have a Jesse Tree tradition in our family too. The kids look forward to it and begin talking about it very early each year. Love seeing how your family use yours. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LInda,
      Thanks for your visit! I know what you mean; mine have began asking about it as well....it's become a well loved tradition around here too!

      Take care and enjoy your advent preparation!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post Chris, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire!~
      I appreciate your visit, busy mom!

      Take care!!

      Delete
  7. This is wonderful Chris! Thank you so much for linking this up on the homeschoollinkup! Actually, I learned a ton from this post. I know nothing of Advent - and really know nothing about the Catholic faith (outside of the wedding mass). I have seen Advent, but haven't really asked.

    Thank you for this. I love learning about other religions and look forward to teaching my kids about this. I think it will enrich their lives greatly.

    I'm pinning this post to the homeschoollinkup board. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lisa!
      I really enjoy your HS hop...you have so many creative bloggers linking up there!

      I'm happy that you found the how-to enjoyable and informational! Terrific! Love to see pics of the tradition if you adapt some of it in your home as well! I hope the kids enjoy it!

      Take care and thanks for the visit and the kind words.

      xxo

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing your blog post on the Hearts for Home blog hop last week. Your post generated the most clicks last weeks and features on the top of the link up this week! Congratulations.

    Please be sure to grab the "I was featured button" to place on your blog.

    http://www.monstersed.co.za/2013/11/14/hearts-home-blog-hop-22-christmas/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you thank you, Jolene!!
      What a lovely honor that is!
      How awesome...

      Havea lovely day and thank you for your visit aswell.

      Delete
  9. What a great list of Jesse tree resources, Chris! And your fellows look like they are having a great time!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jen!
      And coming from you, who makes amazing Catholic crafts, I'm thrilled, friend!:)

      Thanks for stopping in!

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  10. Pinned and am featuring at Family Fun Friday! Monica
    http://www.happyandblessedhome.com/category/family-fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica
      I am honored! Thank you so very much!!

      Delete
  11. Great Jesse Tree resources! I always mean to make the ornaments and never have been able to follow through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Haley! I appreciate your visit and kind words:)

      Delete
  12. Great idea - we've never done a Jesse tree although I had all the stuff to make one - you've motivated me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so happy that you found the resources even a little helpful!
    Awesome!!
    Thanks for your visit, Felice!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard about the Jesse tree and am familiar with the concept, but haven't yet taken the time to look it up in detail and actually try to do it. Thanks for all the details and pictures! This is something we'd definitely love to do... but also one of those things I hate to start this late into the season already. Once again, maybe next year. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks, Dalynn! I hop you do get to it next Advent.....it took us years to get around to it as well! I know you'll enjoy it.

      Thanks so much for your visit, friend!

      Delete
  15. I love how you pull this together for the family. Some day I hope to do the same. And, thank you for linking the post up to the 40 Days of Seeking Him meme this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.