Sunday, December 1, 2013

What Garlic Knots, Roof Surfing and the Beach Boys Have to Do With Advent~ Or: How Our Family Keeps Christ in Christmas Linky

Given what our weekend has entailed, I consider titling this post,
"Just Be Sure You Don't Get Hurt When the 
Roof Collapses..."
or
"Sheesh, It Was So Well Done;
I Just Wish I Got a Picture of It Before It Fell Apart."
My initial title, has been amended to reflect our crazy day today......
A little off-topic, right?
Well, no, not really......
There is  that advent ( and pre advent)
 service frame of mind that
my men had been living...
Let me tell you about it~~
You may remember me  mentioning 
 a few weeks ago in one of my
daybook/almanacs that my older son and hubby were helping out
 a friend with a construction project in his yard?
This became one of those projects folks, that takes on a life of its own.
I'm sure you know what I mean.
Especially when your home and your yard have a few areas
that are calling for help
from the man of the house and he's off at a neighbor's whacking away 
with the hammer and  such.
Being a friend does that and that's one reason I love all my men.
So, we wait on what needs to be done around here.
Ok, for five weekends in a row now, 
the guys have slaved, sawed, 
hammered, measured, climbed, drilled
 in the making of our friend's shed.
I mean really well done and kinda cute, actually.
Wow.
It looked sorta like one of those
pioneer-built barns.
I wish I took a picture of the "finished product."
Boy do I wish I did.Because today, hubby was on the roof,
 telling me during one of my
snack-runs over there 
as he was hammerin' away 
on the roof
how little time he lad left 
to put in  on the roof, and then
The. Shed. Would. Be. Done. Yippee!
when.....
C-rrrrrrr-a-c-k.
Within three seconds, hours and hours of labor literally fell apart,
with hubby On The Roof.
No time to gasp, think, shriek.
Nothing.
Ok, fast forward.
He. Is. Totally Fine.
Just in shock and aggravated.
We all  just stood there. 
Staring at the remains.
 And at each other.
Stunned.
The boys:Are you okay, Dad??
Him: <sigh>
Me: Seriously, are you okay?
Him: <sigh>
Me: Um, I wish I got a picture of that.
The boys: Yeah, Dad, it actually looked like you were surfing the roof.
All:Silence as we stare at debris which used to be a pretty nice lookin' shed.
Him: Roof Surfing? Really?
All: <<giggles escalating into hysterics>> 
And then: THANK GOD no one got hurt!
So, as the sun was about to set, ending the first day of Advent,
 we thought at that point.
 we'd  be walking away with only a few more hours until the project 
was completed.
Instead we regrouped,
ordered a pizza,
laughed about the slo-mo roof surfing,
thanked the good Lord that
all we need to fix is a pile of wood and shingle debris
and as we said our "Grace" tonight
( and to be honest, we do not say Grace every night)
my little man, who makes up the best extemporaneous
table blessings ever...
I mean ever....prayed:
"Lord, we thank you tonight 
for not only our food, but our friends,
our time together and even more time
 we'll need picking up the pieces
and trying again.
AND that's kind of advent-ish right?
Patience and anticipation?
Even when things don't go well?
AND
for Daddy's roof surfing escapade.
I only wish Mommy had her camera to get a video of it.
Oh,
and that I had the Beach Boys cued up."

I told he says the best table blessings.

OKAY~!
On THAT note, I must say how HAPPY I am 
that my hubby is fine,
that we laughed over what could have been disastrous
if not for the grace of God,
and
 that I'm  joining in the 
 KEEP CHRIST in CHRISTMAS 
Blog Link-Up 2013, 
hosted by
Tina at Truly Rich Mom
Sarah at One the Way Home
Birgit at Designs by Birgit
 and
me... right here at Campfires and Cleats
Please consider following your hosts
in appreciation for the work that they do…
and be sure to visit as many links as possible,
listed at the bottom of this post.
Thank you!


Since I wrote a post yesterday,
detailing our family's  advent preparations,
activities and traditions and linked it to Micaela's for her
"3 Reasons I Love Advent" carnival,
I realized while drafting this Keep Christ post,
that my thoughts were super duper redundant.
SOOOO,
I'm going to ask you to click over to my "3 Reasons"
post on advent for the skinny on
how we "do" advent
for this Keep Christ linky as well
(as if the whole long drawn out roof collapsing saga 
wasn't enough time spent here at my blog!) 
and,
in the process,
how we protect our family's most precious commodity: time.

So, here ya go:
AKA How we Keep Christ in Christmas

There are lots of advent wreath, Jesse tree and O Antiphon
 links and resources there as well!

Aaaaaaand if you're so inclined,
you can also click over to my
CatholicMom column,
This Advent, Allow the Spirit.
for more of our Advent scoop!




Friends, as always, thank you for spending some of
your precious time here at my home on the web!
I look forward to "seeing" you soon.


Friends, as always,  
thank you for stopping over and 
spending some of your precious time 
here at my home on the web!

I'd love it if we could be in touch regularly.........
so please subscribe to Campfires and Cleats~!

Enter your email address:



You might wish to follow on Facebook as well.....

Until next time,

~Chris



Equipping Catholic Families: Keep Christ in Christmas
Simply Homeschool  Living Advent Series 12/1 - 12/25
Fifth of Five                     Keeping Christ in Christmas - Blog Link-up 2013
Coffee Moments with Sam           The Light of Hope
Open Window               Making hay while the Advent wreath shines
Faith Filled Freebies: Keep Christ in Christmas
Written by the Finger of God: Not Christmas as Usual
On the Way Home:  Keep Christ in Christmas
Sue Elvis Writes: Bring Christ to Others
Mommy Bares All        Why Celebrate Christmas Even After #YolandaPH

Canadian Catholic Mom                Keeping The Little Ones Focused: An Advent Link-Up
Mountain of Grace Homeschooling               Keep Christ in Christmas
Em’s Estuary: Keeping Christ in Christmas
JoyAlive.net: O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
Home to 4 Kiddos      Keep Christ in Christmas
Embedded Faith          Boldly Be the Christ in Christmas
City Girl, Country Home                Emmanuel Is With Us. Are we WITH HIM?
Journey to Wisdom: Trusting in your Awkward Fiats
Joy of Nine9                   Waiting in Joyful Expectation Like a Child

Splendor in the Home                    Ideas For Keeping Advent and Christmas Holy
Training Happy Hearts                     10 Ways to Celebrate the New Liturgical Year
Designs by Birgit: Elf on a Shelf and Santa Claus
Catholic Inspired: Faith-Centered Family Christmas
A Slice of Smith Life: How we keep Christ in Christmas
Catholic All Year: Three Reasons I love Advent
Mary the Defender: Christmas The Battle Begins
Truly Rich Mom: Keep Christ in Christmas
Diapers and Drivel: Keeping Christ in Christmas

Raising Soldiers 4 Christ: Keeping Christ in Christmas
Rosary Mom                    Keep Christ In Christmas With A Teenager
Campfires and Cleats                        How We Keep Christ in Christmas
Homeschooling With Joy              Keeping Christ in Christmas
Mrs Domestic Bliss     Gingerbread Nativity
The Chic Traveller      Keeping Christ in Christmas
California to Korea     Keeping Christ in Christmas
Dominique's Desk       Keeping Christ in Christmas
Our ABC Life: An Advent Update

Journey Living: Anno Domini
Life of Fortunate Chances: Keeping Christ in Christmas
Quidquid Est, Est!: Reblog: Advent Posts


12 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a great story! Sure to be told again and again in future years, glad everyone is ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebekah! True...it's actually funny, even now, a day later!

      I appreciate your visit, friend!

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is so scary Chris! Thank God your husband is ok. I love your "Um, I wish I got a picture of that." Sounds like something I would say :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace
      Thank you, friend!

      Always love your visits!

      Delete
  3. Way to put a positive face on something that would have had me pulling my hair out. You have such grace. And I'm sorry you didn't have the camera, too. Maybe one of your more artistically-inclined kids can recreate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, you made my night with your kind words!
      Thank you for your visit, friend....

      Delete
  4. Chris,

    You are a true blogger wishing you had a camera on hand. Do you remember you missed out on a photo when you went to hospital some weeks ago? In both case though I'm just thankful all turned out ok. This story could have had such a different ending. I hope the rest of your Advent is uneventful.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue. How right you are !
      Must. Have. Camera. On. Hand. Always.
      !!
      And you said, it...things could have been awful, but we were very blessed!

      Thanks for your visit, friend!

      be well!

      Delete
  5. Glad everyone is fine!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carrie!!

      I appreciate your visit AND the hosting of SS! Take care!

      Delete
  6. Roof surfing, huh? that made me laugh once I knew everyone was ok. Now you've got a great family memory (better for some of you than others). Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday on Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, great memory....too funny. We were already laughing about it that night!

      Thanks, Susan, for stopping in! Always love your visits!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.