Sunday, January 5, 2014

Calling All Whovians! A Dalek Cake to Celebrate Doctor Who

Welcome, friends!
Anyone who's been reading my blog even a short time
 has enjoyed   endured ( ! ) 
 references and even full posts devoted to Doctor Who.....
Cakes, parties, costumes, you name it!
My son turned 11 last month with the help of the last of the Time Lords 
and several awesome friends.
\

I'll be blogging the party details from invitations to treats 
(fish fingers and custard anyone??)
to favors very soon.....
it's been a full, memorable and wonderful advent and Christmas, 
which has been my blogging focus.
And  I'm really happy to begin this week, as we get back into a routine,
by sharing a few Whovian delights...

We created  12 goodies for the buffet table....
11 for our little guy's age
plus one for good luck.
One of these is the TARDIS cake, which I detail here.

Easy, fun, tasty and so decorative!
Looks just like the Doctor's ship!

Another creation?
Our  Dalek cake, which looks a tad lopsided,
but honestly, 
he birthday boy was thrilled!
The party guests all knew exactly what the cake was
( a sure sign of a master pastry chef's concoction, right?)
and it was exactly what our little Time Lord requested!
So here goes~


For the uninitiated, here is a dalek,
mortal enemy of The Doctor:
1984-2011DaleksDWExperience.jpg

Exterminate!


~Dalek Cake~
Aside from my TARDIS cake, this is 
positively the
 easiest how-to Doctor Who cake:
What you'll need to create your dalek~
* favorite cake mix
*favorite white icing ( this cream cheese frosting is my go-to frosting recipe)
*Gumdrops or Dots
*Pirouette  (or pirolines cookies---as seen here on amazon) My local Dollar Tree carries small canisters of these cookies; hopefully yours does too!
*Edible silver and gold glitter. I found mine at Michael's, but it is available on amazon as well.
That's it!!

Arranging your cake/Decorating:
1. You'll need to organize several round cake pans (or oven-safe) baking bowls, such as pyrex or corning ware. I used one cupcake tin for the very top layer.
2. Mix, fill, bake and stack.....You'll want to wind up with something along these lines, but perhaps not quite so lopsided!

3. Frost
Yup, you're right....icing this whole mess was a tricky proposition.
But when your Galifreyan is counting on you, you make it work.
The trick is, lots of glue
(aka icing) between layers!

4. Decorate:



Just a quick shot including all the goods you need to create your dalek.
Because we were sort of rushed and short on time, 
given all the party prep, decorating and cleaning to be done,
I didn't get many shots of the cake actually being assembled 
or in stages of decor.
But if you know daleks, then you know the look you're going for...
You can use my ideas as a guide and create your own too!



The Doctor battling his arch enemy!



Friends, as always, I thank you for the precious time 
you spent here at my home on the web~

Don't forget to subscribe to Campfires and Cleats
 by scrolling to the subscribe button at the  top left sidebar.

I'd love to stay in touch regularly!

Until next time,

~Chris








28 comments:

  1. my six-year-old is begging for a Doctor Who party. I'll definitely be following along if you make more of these posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi! How fun...happy you'll be visiting again!
      We'll have sonic screwdriver, weeping angle sugar cookies and more....plus the party details.

      Enjoy and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. That cake is fantastic! I love sharing the Dr Who love over here. My 10 year old got the DVD box set from the start of Christopher Eccleston to the end of David Tennant for Christmas. The kids' first Doctor was Matt Smith so we're so excited to share his two predecessors with them!

    Looking forward to reading more about the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucinda!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Wow, that's some gift...seasons 1 through 4, I guess? Enjoy! I'm happy to have you visit for more on the DW theme!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Sheila!

      Appreciate your visit, too!

      Delete
  4. This is so unbelievably AWESOME!! I love it all & love how your son dresses like 11! Ya'll did such a great party! I can't say it enough!! And the T.A.R.D.I.S on the wall is genius!

    At the end of this month will be my youngest's 7th bday & she is wanting a DW party as well. Luckily we were sent that package of DW goodies from our friends in England so I saved the Dalek cupcake wraps for her...lol. There is also a banner to hang w/ the different characters & of course 11. <3 I want to hang it now but I guess I should wait to make it special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess,
      So fun that you stopped by!! Thanks for visiting!

      Can't wait to hear about your daughter's 7th birthday! I know you'll do all sports of crazy fun Whovian stuff....!

      Take care!

      Delete
  5. I have got to check out this show. I hear about it everywhere! It looks like the birthday boy had a great day :). So glad the party was a success! It always makes me feel like such a good mommy to give my kids a birthday they enjoy. We are big on birthdays at our house! Love the cake!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know,candace! A great feeling of accomplishment when all hoes well and the birthday-er is happy!

      Yes, do check it out! You will absolutely not be disappointed!

      Thanks for stopping in !!

      Delete
  6. Stopping by from Make It Monday. This is so fun! My son & I are both big Dr. Who fans. He was 11 for Halloween & has been hinting at wanting a DW themed birthday this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shalynne~
      Thanks so much for visiting! Love that you son was Matt Smith for Halloween! Ho fun! Hope you do that DW party....love to see pics!!

      Be well!

      Delete
  7. Looks cool! My friend's daughter is a big Doctor Who fan - I'll be sharing this! Thanks for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cynthia!! Love your In and Out linky!

      ALways appreciate your visits, friend!

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing on my Kids and a Mom in the Kitchen. I am learning more about Doctor Who than I ever thought I would just by seeing these posts of yours. I have got to look into it. By the sounds of it, I would love it.

    Have a great evening, and I hope to see you back next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THANKS so much, friend!

    Always love your visits here!!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris,

    You are so creative. I love the cakes. If I'd made them I'd probably be reluctant to let anyone cut them up and eat them. I guess you have lots of photos to remember them by though and I bet they tasted good!

    We had a bit of a Dr Who Christmas. My kids bought each other Dr Who mugs, bow ties, pens... I bought them a couple of box sets of old series, ones we never got around to buying at the time they were released Sophie (12) is just discovering Dr Who. The older girls are enjoying sharing this passion with her. Another excuse to sit down and watch the various episodes yet again! Never too much Dr Who!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, sounds like a fun time! We, too, have the red bow ties, the mug...sonic screwdriver as well!

      Thanks, sue, for stopping by!

      LOVE when you visit!!

      Delete
  11. How fun. My daughter made cookies of all 11 doctors this Christmas. Guess great minds think alike. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday at Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember, Susan!! We left a com on your blog Christmas night...all of us enjoyed seeing the 11 cookies! Not sure if it went through...

      Thanks so much for visiting, friend! Always love when you stop by!

      Delete
  12. Haha! I love it! I have several Doctor Who fans in my house and I will be having a Whovian party for one of them in March :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jordyn~
      Thanks for the visit...LOVE to see pics of your Whovian bash ~

      xoxoxo

      Delete
  13. Thanks for linking this up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." You are SO creative! :-) I hope you will be able to join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/01/try-new-recipe-tuesday-january-14.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit, friend!

      Yup, linking the sonic screwdrivers we made for the party this week!

      Appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  14. It has been YEARS since I watched Dr. Who. What a cute party theme! Looks like your guy had a great time. Thanks for sharing via Family Fun Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Stephanie!
      Love your Fam Fun Fri hop....always great ideas and lots of creativity there!

      I appreciate your visit!!

      Delete
  15. I love these ideas. It has to be amazing to have a tiny time lord at home. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS pretty cool to have such Whovian kids....:)
      Thanks Meagan!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.