Tuesday, February 18, 2014

An Explosive Volcano Cake & Resources for Your Science Theme Birthday Party!


Welcome!
So happy you stopped by!
Some time ago, before I began blogging, we threw a 
science themed party for my son's 9th!
(He is now almost 14! Wow, time flies!)

The party activities, favors and prizes all connected to science in some way 
and I definitely plan to blog the party details at some point soon.
There are just sooooo many facets  of science for the birthday boy or girl and
 party guests to enjoy  within such a  broad subject!
I'd love to share the "explosive" cake that we concocted for the birthday boy.
It's easy and fun!
Don't  think otherwise!
Here we go~

What you need:
*your fave cake mix
*chocolate and vanilla frosting
* number candle
* various sized round baking pans
* wooden board for cake display/aluminum foil
 

Directions:
1. Bake cake in varying sized round pans.
2. Assemble cooled cake, once taken from pans,on top of one another using frosting as "glue" between layers.   This is your "volcano" and can be sloppily assembled to look more realistic!
You can even take some small "chunks" of cake to sprinkle around the final cake as rocks.
 ( pumice/ obsidian?)
3. Frost volcano using both flavors as well as red icing for lava.
4.Arrange dinos and trees as you like and enjoy!!




Volcano/Earthquake/Geology Resources that we displayed during the party:

Volcano  &  Earthquake (DK Eyewitness Books)


National Geographic Readers: Volcanoes

Volcanoes by Seymour Simon (We love Seymour Simon!)
Volcanoes

( avail only on kindle now, apparently)

Since hubby has a geology background and we have at our disposal an arsenal of evidence of that ( !) we "decorated" with rocks, crystals, minerals and posters as well as the above titles! Everyone knows books make great decorations!

Thank you for spending some of your precious time today
here at my home on the web! 

Have you signed up to receive my posts in your email inbox?
   If not, just click here to 
quickly and easily  so we can be in touch regularly!
You might wish to follow on Facebook as well.....

Image result for new york city themed blog post dividers
This post contains amazon affiliate links....
If you are shopping at  amazon and Target
why not consider clicking through my link
In this way, I will receive a small commission on the purchase.....
at no cost to you.
THANK YOU!


Until next time,


~Chris

34 comments:

  1. Amazing birthday cake!!! Mine have to settle for the store bought ones cause I am not really a baker:(. Happy Birthday to your youngest who is now the same age as my youngest...too bad we don't live closer:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Anne!!
      It's really super easy! Try it; you'll be surprised!!

      Thanks for the visit and the kind words!

      Delete
  2. What a fun idea! Bookmarking this for when my son is older andout on science. :) Love that photo of your son looking at his cake! So funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! Awesome...I do hope you enjoy when your son's finally old enough!!

      And thanks for the kind words!! I appreciate your visit!

      Delete
  3. What an amazing looking Birthday cake. I love the facial expression in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacie!! Not sure what precipitated that, but it does it is kinda fun!

      I appreciate your visit!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, friend!Looking fwd to seeing pics of YOUR recent DW party!!

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. This is so great, Chris! My boys would love it. Thanks for sharing! Your blog is so fun -- glad to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Blair!!

      I appreciate your visit and kind words....I'll stop by and see you at your home on the web soon!

      Delete
  6. Oh my son would so love this! It seems like every year is science themed for his party. We have not yet had a volcano cake, but now that I have your recipe we just might!

    http://www.jenerallyinformed.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer~ Wow, a science theme each year!! Good for him! Enjoy this...it is super easy to make!!

      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  7. Very cool! I like cakes that can incorporate my natural lack of tidy frosting skills and make it look intentional :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! So true, jenny!
      One can be a MESSY froster, indeed and still have a great looking volcano cake!!

      Delete
  8. Fantastic cake! I made a volcano cake when my kids were really little and it looked like it had been hit by a boulder.
    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, you should definitely blog it, Monique! I'd love to see pics...I;m sure many would enjoy!

      THANKS for your visit friend!!

      Delete
  9. Fantastic!! One of the most fun cakes I've seen in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Chris, this is the coolest cake I think I've ever seen. A true original. My boys would flip over it. We just had J's birthday party yesterday and he would have loved this cake. I've got 3 more birthdays coming up and I really need to try this. Thanks for sharing with us at Wake Up Wednesday Linky Party.
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angel, THANK YOU!
      Well, I look forward to seeing your blog post with your volcano when/if you do decide to tackle it in the future!

      I appreciate your visit,!

      Peace

      Delete
  11. How fun! I have a 4 year old grandson that loves volcanos.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow--what an awesome cake! Right up a little boy's alley.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love this cake (so much that I've passed this post onto several of my friends who have boys in love with volcanos). I saw this earlier this week but this time I'm stopping by from the Hot Homeschool Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this cake, yummy I could just tuck into this volcano :) thanks for sharing at the hop Chris :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome! How cool. You are fun and talented. Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will have something to share with us this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/02/try-new-recipe-tuesday-february-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chris,

    I really love the second photo! The expression on your son's face is absolutely wonderful. He was obviously delighted with the volcano cake.

    You are so creative! It's been a long time since I last made a theme cake for a birthday, or even arranged a party. Charlotte still remembers a fairy party she had when she was 4. She tells me that was the first and last party she ever had. She's now 16! I'm not doing very well with birthdays, am I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, friend, you're doing pretty amazing in my book!

      Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comments!!

      Delete
  17. What a fun birthday cake. My 11-year old son would love this for his next birthday. And he'd think books about volcanoes would make great decorations for sure. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday on Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the coolest birthday cake! And books make great decorations. Thank you for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for linking up to Good Tips Tuesday. This cake and whole party theme are amazing. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin~!
      How sweet of you!! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  20. Excellent! Now you have my gears turning. Looks like we might be having a tornado party over here. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.