Sunday, February 2, 2014

Weekends with Chesterton: GKC on "Leisure"

"To hurry through one’s leisure is the most

 unbusiness-like of actions."

 I'm happy to  join  Sarah as part of her Chestertonian crowd  ( ! )
 for another weekend of sharing around GCK's wit 
and profundities! 
It's been SO much fun and so rejuvenating,
clicking around to read everyone's quotes and interpretations! 

When I  stumbled upon the above  in
our man' s Tremendous Trifles 
....I felt it  would be a most perfect choice 
for right now in our lives
 since we "do"
a lot of what may be considered "leisure" around here!
,,,such as this nuttiness in our own backyard...:
"Look Ma, no hands!!"

(turn your sound on too for Extreme Pogo!)
video
Fun, right?
Guess who filmed it?
But my son, of course, edited and added audio

<sigh>

The basketball, the baseball, the soccer,
the trips about which my kids quip
"They're not 'vacations,' they're quests!"
The whole climbing-on-roofs thing to
help a neighbor's cat out of a tree...Yes indeed.
And the  cavalier, "Don't worry, Mom, I'll be fine!"
as they scurry off to meet a new adventure.
Well, luckily they have been fine. 
You might remember that our last visit to an ER was mine
for heaven's sake, back in October!

up at bat
 Spring 2009
(love that Cross in the background---
that's why we do CYO)
hiking with mountain goats
Glacier NP July 2012

joining the Union Army
Gettysburg July 2008


 back when we had a pool in the yard
August 2009


taking a shoveling break
January 2009


 out for a paddle
August 2013

Adirondacks
After a day of rain and 45 degree temps!
Aug 2013


Leisure and competitiveness though?
A fine line in a testosterone soaked household!
It seems that a little competition can be healthy, I'm told?
Hmmmm......
But there are quiet times of leisure that aren't quite so, well.....
loud, crazy and  dangerous....:




Gone fishin'
Aug 2012


Hunger Games crazy and whittling his own
 bow and arrow, Katniss style
March 2012


 Creating and editing his own newspaper for our former HS group
June 2012



Making his own Raggedy Doctor!
April 2011


, Also, while you're here, have you entered my giveaway yet?

wonderful  e book Intentional Marriage!

The entry form is open from until  midnight
on Feb 6.
No silly copying and pasting of tweet url's or anything.
The rafflecopter is super easy, I promise!


Please click over to Sarah's for more of GkC's wisdom!

Friends, as always,  thank you for stopping over and 
spending some of your precious time here at my home on the web!
Don't forget to subscribe to Campfires and Cleats
 by scrolling to the subscribe button at the  top left sidebar.
I'd love to stay in touch regularly.

Until next time,

~Chris

©2012-2014 Campfires and Cleats by Chris C. All rights reserved. 
 All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author.
http://campfiresandcleats.blogspot.com/
Some of my posts contain affiliate links.

3 comments:

  1. I love that quote on leisure. And, it reminds me so much of how the American way to make our leisure into work. We work so hard at leisure that it ceases to become leisurely.

    Great pictures of all your boys! Those are some handsome ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this because in many ways I see homeschooling as the essence of true leisure. Restful and vigorous both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand living in a testosterone-soaked house - love that you go on quests!!! Sweet times!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.