Saturday, February 8, 2014

Weekends with Chesterton: GKC and Valentine Love

"To love means loving the unlovable. 
To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. 
Faith means believing the unbelievable. 
Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.”



Holidays are big around here.
We dress, we play, we bake, we read, we gift, we decorate, we 'music.'
And we love us a beautiful heart-filled red, pink, glittery, 
"candified," gift-bagged,  red hearted-tissue papered, stuffed animal, 
Winnie-the-Pooh style, perfect Valentine's day!

Sooooo, I can't resist sharing these amazing words of our man,
GKC, on love.
Because in order to "get to" the Valentine bingo and the red roses 
and the homemade-crayon-ironings hearts,
 and the  red hand print painted decorations 
and the glittery red streamers
and the yummy pastel cream cheese icinged-
conversation heart  - topped cupcakes,
you have to go through
as Chesterton says
the hopeless, the unpardonable and the unbelievable..... 
And there is much of those.
...... the ebb and flow of  
in sickness and in health through good times and bad,
that you so eagerly  "I do-ed" 17 years ago...
.....the all night viruses, the crazy -  bad juice stained,
crumb filled, washing machine broken,
single digit-furnace -on-the-fritz- 
get those quadratic-equations done anyway days....
And then they are overshadowed by 
the I'm so proud of your violin solo/
landing of that role/ hitting that home run/
writing of that  poem/
vacuuming the den unasked/
giving up  scoring that goal so you could ask a fallen-in-mud
 opposing team member:
Are you okay? kind of days.....

<sigh>
And that's love,  I see now.


I have been loving and learning so very much at 
the GKC hop, hosted by Sarah every weekend! 
You must go check out the others' shares of Chesterton's 
wit, wisdom and profundities!
Really,  you must.

We've been enjoying this title greatly.
Perhaps, you will too!


But, a  few things, before you click to Sarah's party......
As a columnist for Catholic Mom.com,
I was privileged to obtain tickets for
an advanced screening of the
to-be-released-in-May 2014 movie,
"Moms' Night Out" last night and....
I. Loved. It.
I wish I could gather all of my friends here to 
come along and watch it again with all of you!
Please come back soon for my review/
preview post with lots of goodies on the movie!
Also....in tech news:
Have you heard about Catholic Relief Services brand new app,
Operation Rice Bowl?
I am honored to be blogging for this amazing humanitarian
 organization and  I know you'll really enjoy CRS's
latest endeavor!
Friends, as always,  thank you for stopping over and 
spending some of your precious time here at my home on the web!

Don't forget to subscribe to Campfires and Cleats
 by scrolling to the subscribe button at the  top left sidebar.
I'd love to stay in touch regularly.

Until next time,

~Chris






14 comments:

  1. I used that same quote (about loving the unlovable). It is so true and really resonated with me this week-the perfect week to talk about love! I also love that Chesterton says about forgiveness and faith and hope. It is reallly hard to do all those things but what I feel God is calling me to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia-
      I really appreciate your lovely words...thanks for taking the time to stop by, visit and chat!

      Be well, friend!

      Delete
  2. I always love your Chestertonian contributions, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks, Sarah!
    I've learned so very much already about GKC!

    Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right - you have to go through in order - the good, the bad and the ugly - to celebrate enduring love! So enjoyed my visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Blue Cotton, Mommy!

      Loved that you stopped by!!

      Delete
  5. Chesterton is one of my favorites. We started reading The Everlasting Man with the kids recently - they really enjoyed it!
    Jim Milliken
    http://vitafamiliariscatholica.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. James, Thanks for the recommendation! I will definitely look into The Everlasting Man for my kids as well!

    I appreciate your visit!
    Be well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know Chris, I was 34 when I met my husband. THIRTY FOUR. I'd clearly waited a long time. Talk about ebbs and flows and what I had to go through. Meeting him and getting married within a year was like a fairy tale I had long given up hope on. And our marriage and daily life ebb and flow too... but I wouldn't trade it. I'm so blessed. We all are.
    xx oo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are So right, Em....I agree...we are all blessed! And yes, the ebb and flow of daily life...so real.

      Thanks for stopping in, Em...I always love your visits...

      Delete
  8. LOVE that quote, Chris. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Valentine's Day. When I was little I remember my mom celebrating all sorts of holidays with me and my sister. We even put candles on a cake for George and Abe and sang them Happy Birthday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, what a Mom!! Amazing...these little things they did for us really resonate and carry through the years....

      Thanks, Sheila, for your visit....Happy Valentine's day to YOU as well!

      Delete
  9. Powerful quote! Thanks for linking up with Marriage Monday! I'm late stopping by, but wanted you to know I appreciate you linking up your great posts and many times encouraging me with your sweet words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Elizabeth! Your posts are always a blessing to me....It's SO wonderful to link up at your home on the web when I have a suitable post!

      Be well and thanks for visiting! You made my day!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.