Sunday, April 27, 2014

My Pope, My Shepherd~ Mercy IS Divine


Karol.
What a pope, what a man.
Strength, resolve, fortitude, evangelism, 
 justice,  perseverance.
He was every-man's pope. 
Traveling to more countries, spreading the One True Faith,
kissing more ground than any before him.
And possibly any to take the Chair of St Peter.



He defined mercy.
HE shocked. He amazed. He softened hearts.
Remember this?~~
How could any of us forget?

And he spread this beauty,  this gift of redemption.
 Divine Mercy Sunday,
 he shares the love with which the Lord envelopes His children,
the miracle of our salvation,
the grace of God's forgiveness.

This man holds my heart ....
we, here, in our family have a special affinity for him.
My son is choosing, as his confirmation name,
KAROL.
 Because, he says,
"Who else would I choose?
It will always be him."
And this from a boy who was five when his Papa died.
Who expresses sadness that their lives were not
more intertwined.
Who can't read and learn enough about him.

I've been teary-eyed all day;
I've been moved by the beauty and perfection that on this day,
this Sunday of Divine Mercy, 
Karol of Poland, is elevated to sainthood.



The man who shepherded my generation
to adulthood, 
who was and always will be a beacon
of light, of social justice, 
of racial equality,
of the importance and the vitality of our domestic churches,
who received his education underground during the Nazi occupation,
who symbolizes the fall of Communism,
who consoled the world on September 11.......
he exemplifies the goodness and the kindness
and the best in all humankind.
And humbly.


For perfectly  clever ideas on celebrating Catholicism AND the influence of
Pope Saint John Paul II,
 please click to my friend, Tracy,
at A Slice of Smith Life.
Her family basked in Divine Mercy Sunday and the canonization of 
two popes by two popes on this historic day with many
activities, treats and with much prayer!


We were graced to be in our pontiff's presence a number of times.
Here, in America, twice.....once, in Rome.
Previously, I've written about our  JPII here:

If you are not Catholic and you'd like to learn more about
this beautiful Faith,
OR
if you are Catholic and have not been involved in the 
practice of the Faith but would like to return,
there is nothing that would make your Church happier!
Please contact me and I'll put you in touch with 
a priest who can assist you!

Friends, as always,  
thank you for stopping over and 
spending some of your precious time here at my home on the web!

Don't forget to subscribe to Campfires and Cleats
 by scrolling to the subscribe button at the  top left sidebar.
I'd love to stay in touch regularly.

Until next time,

~Chris

I'm grateful to link this post to Jenny's

6 comments:

  1. SO beautiful. I love him so very much. I felt like I knew him. He inspired our generation and helped raise us in the faith. I am so saddened that my children were so very little when he died-- that they do not remember him like I do, but I will certainly take the time to teach and show them. How wonderful that your son is choosing his name! Wow! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa
      THANK you for stopping by and commenting, friend~! We have much the same sentiment about our new saint, don't we? I do feel I knew him too! Just unreal that someone who was so vital in our formative years personally and worldwide, is now a saint!

      looking forward to being with you on this journey as we share more about JPII's life, mercy and history!

      xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  2. I am so fascinated by Catholicism. Thank you for sharing this amazing man that I must say I didn't know much about. It is so beautiful to see your true love and respect for him, Chris! This is an incredibly touching tribute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace~
      How kind of you! I'm not sure where my faith would be now, as an adult, had JPII not been my shepherd...and for SO many years....He was a constant and an amazing role model for me ( and of course, millions!)
      I appreciate your visit and comments, Candace.:)

      Delete
  3. My children also feel very connected to JPII - in spite of being only babies when he died - I guess it is because my husband and I love him so much. His legacy and body of written work will go on feeding the church for hundreds if not thousands of years to come. Thank you Lord for Saint John Paul II!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie~
    I'd say! Yes, I guess that IS the reason why your kids and mine...and their generation have a love affair with JPII!? Our talk of our love, our history with him..... Mine kids were 5 and 2 when he passed and still, they are fascinated by and enamored of him! They can;t get enough of his story and influence!

    Thanks for stopping by, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.