Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Angels of Abbey Creek: A Year With An Enchanting Australian Family ~What We're Reading Wednesday



Hi there friends ......thanks for visiting today
for some 'booktalk~!'
I've been reading a captivating new title which I'm eager to share with you....
Of course when you've found new lit you can't wait to pick and cannot put down,
you must share with your friends, amIright?
Isn't  the brilliant thing about homeschooling the opportunity to
carve time into your day for just such can't wait
endeavors as that craft, that movie or that  book?
Well, The Angels of Abbey Creek is that rare 
drop-everything-I-must-read-the-next-chapter book!
It's wonderful and refreshing and brimming with characters I wish I knew
'in real life' as well as situations that are unique to this 
particular family,  yet familiar.
 it's gripping and it's fun.
I'd been dying to get my hands on it since its publication last year and
finally ordering a copy on amazon  as a"Christmas gift" ( ! )  to myself, 
I couldn't wait for it to arrive.
Can I tell you...
when the package was finally delivered one December day,
Was. I.  Excited.
After bringing in  all the mail and settling in the den,
 I tore into the envelope, once I realized that Angels was finally here!
I just began to read to whomever was in the room at the time.
Which happened to be one son and my hubby---
and they gradually sat, listened and well, wanted more 
when I got to the end of chapter  one!

We literally laughed out loud at Mr Angel’s antics;
 we pictured ourselves in the Angel’s kitchen as 
Kate creates a special dessert 
and Mum roasts a chicken; we felt a part of the family.
Although I did have to restrain myself from devouring
 too much of this gem too soon. 
Can't finish it off tooooo quickly, now can we??
Unless of course there's a sequel on the horizon........ hear that, Sue?
Or even better.....  a series?!
Now wouldn't that be w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l!?
Yes indeed.....
I was  introduced  to The Angel family 
 by my dear friend, their  creator, author Sue Elvis
And while I wait for that sequel...ahem.....
I'll be content to read brand new and of course, archived posts
over at Sue's blogs,

So …the Angels~ 
they’re Mum, Dad, Edward, Kate, Joe, Celeste, Lizzie and Annie.  
They live on the outskirts of a lovely village under shady gum trees , 
on the shores of Abbey Creek. 
Throughout the story, 
we’re treated to  the Angels’ adventures…
the happy, the sad, the everyday, the extraordinary  :  
Dad’s, Edward’s and Joe’s involvement in the parish Passion Play
 which touched us and yet caused us to
 burst out laughing at Annie’s shenanigans;   
a leisurely and memorable vacation  to Palm Tree Beach,  
preceded by a stressful, long drive and followed by a lovely scrapbook creation ;     
Celeste’s communion dress debacle, 
handled lovingly by Mum and Nanna;  
a frightening bush fire; 
a roller coaster of emotions around Jeremy, Poppy, Wilbur and Hercules,
 the family pets…
and oh, so much more.
A Catholic home educated  family, 
 much of the Angels' year is  celebrated, 
as you might surmise,  around liturgical seasons, 
sacraments and  feast days. 
Yet, the family's adventures are universal, really.
The close, realistic bond shared by family members 
is so so evident throughout,
   during so much of he story, but to me,
it is especially palpable during  the passion play's ups and downs,
 Mum's reaction to all that day entailed
and during Mum's  "terrible day."
We also get acquainted with many family members, neighbors and friends,
 including Father Brown, a warm and approachable priest who introduces
 Dad and the boys to camping in the bush!
And what an exploit was that!

The Angels are a funny, real, brilliant family-- I really mean that---
 and it was a true pleasure
to immerse in their lives on the outskirts of the Australian bush.
Throughout each vignette, Sue's singular and unique voice weaves
the ordinary and the extraordinary and caused the pages to keep turning, turning!
I seriously want more of the Angels on my bookshelf.
Sue, thank you for the literary treat.
It's been refreshing, fun and unique.

I have to admit, I've been savoring the last chapter but I can no longer wait
to read on to the end of the Angels' year!
And by the way, you need to head to Sue's blogs, not only 
to soak up her writing style, but go for the adorable pictures of her
kids reading Angels!
.
I just know you will enjoy The Angels' stories as much as we have!

I'm happy to link up with Jessica's What We're Reading Wednesday hop!
I'm about to click over now for lots more booktalk!
Thank you, Jessica, for hosting!



 Friends, as always,  
thank you for stopping over and 
spending some of your precious time 
here at my home on the web!

Have you signed up to receive my posts in your email inbox?
   If not, just enter your email address here
so we can be in touch regularly!

Enter your email address:


      
You might wish to follow on Facebook as well.....

Until next time,

~Chris

8 comments:

  1. Chris,

    I can't thank you enough for this wonderful post about my book. Wonderful? It's more than wonderful. (I had to check you really were talking about my book and not someone else's!) I am so touched by your words. I now want to write an Angels sequel worthy of them. You are such a kind and generous friend. Thank you so much for reading my book and then spending time reviewing it, and now sharing it here and on Facebook. I really do appreciate your help in telling people about my story. Sending you a big thank you hug and lots of love. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwww, you're so sweet Sue...I appreciate YOU! It was truly truly a privilege to write about your book..Revisiting the Angels all over again and reliving their story through the writing was just great!
      I really did enjoy it thoroughly and while Timmy and I are in the midst of other read alouds for his history curriculum and for just plain too, we also read snippets and chapters here and there about the Angels' year....how refreshing and relaxing!

      One of the great things about blogging, right? LOL We can share and spread fun, news, updates to people who stop by from different circles! I just know that so many will enjoy your book and I'm really happy to talk about it with other book lovers!
      And no matter what your next book, Im eager to read it!

      Thx for visiting, my friend!

      xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much! New Book on my list to read now!
    Theresa xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's wonderful, Theresa!! As you know, we enjoyed the Angels' adventures very much--- I have a strong feeling you will too!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. That sounds fantastic! I am definitely adding this to my list. Thanks for recommending it, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Micaela!!
      I know you'll enjoy!!

      xoxoxo

      Thx for visiting!!

      Delete
  4. I'm going to have to check this out. I love books set in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica~~

      I just know you and your kids will love it!!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      ~~Chris

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.