Friday, April 22, 2016

To Be or Not to Be ~ 7 of Our Favorite, Most Epic Shakespearean Lines {A to Z Blogging Challenge, Quick Takes }

Happy birthday ( a day early!) to the Bard!
First of all, we huge huge fans of Will here ...
So for anyone interested in "real" literary resources
 (not just my personal favorite  iconic "lines!")
OR 
for anyone with a hankering for  some good old Elizabethan revelry,
 I'll send you to my mega post - chock full of  literary analysis,
plays my kids have been in using his unabridged scripts, 
poetry collections, trips to the Folger
library in DC as well as the Plimoth Players in Massachusetts

...and of course, a birthday cake!

In the meantime, since tomorrow's Will's 452nd birthday, my kids
and I have gotten to talking about our studies over the years, which
included lots of memorization of the plays and the poems.....
his stand out lines, 
whether insults, comedic OR poetic, iambic pentameter
or just jaw droppingly powerful....
writing representative of the one and only Bard.

So just for fun, these are our most treasured...
You know........ those words, words words that speak to us 
because of our connection with that work, 
or our involvement in that play........
I'm sure you have cherished lines as well!

Midsummer Night's Dream~ Egeus
Full of vexation come I with complaint
Against my child, my daughter Hermia.—
Stand forth, Demetrius.—My noble lord,
This man hath my consent to marry her.—



Egeus, my son, Oct 2011



All's Well that Ends Well
Love  all, trust a few,  do wrong to none

Julius Caesar  ~  "Julius Caesar" 
 Cowards die many times before their deaths.
The valiant never taste of death but once. 




Hamlet  ~~  "Hamlet Prince of Denmark"

Angels and ministers of grace defend us 
Be thou a spirit of health or goblin damned
It will not speak.
Then i will follow it.
Why what then should be the fear?
It waves me still.
Go on. I'll follow thee.






My oldest, at age 11, 2011, as Hamlet



Thisbe  ~  A Midsummer Night's Dream
Asleep, my love?
What, dead, my dove?
O Pyramus, arise!
Speak, speak. Quite dumb?
Dead, dead? A tomb
Must cover thy sweet eyes.
These My lips,
This cherry nose,
These yellow cowslip cheeks,
Are gone, are gone:
Lovers, make moan:
His eyes were green as leeks.
O Sisters Three,
Come, come to me,
With hands as pale as milk;
Lay them in gore,
Since you have shore
With shears his thread of silk.
Tongue, not a word:
Come, trusty sword;
Come, blade, my breast imbrue:






Yup, my youngest,
Oct 2011
in MND as Francis Flute and his alter ego, Thisbe!
In drag






Osric in Hamlet
The King, sir, hath laid that, in a dozen passes between 
yourself and him, he shall not exceed you three hits; he hath 
laid on twelve for nine, and it would come to immediate trial 
if your lordship would vouchsafe the answer.






June 2011
my youngest bowing, as Osric



Don't forget about whipping up this bday bake for the bard tonight!
Details here!






I'm happy to link with  Kelly for her weekly Quick Takes

Day 20, T,   of the A to Z Challenge!
I'm writing off a picture/s or a thought/s for the month!
Please visit tomorrow for day 21 and U!


 Friends, as always,  
thank you for stopping over and 
spending some of your precious time 
here at my home on the web!

Have you signed up to receive my posts in your email inbox?
   If not, just enter your email address here
so we can be in touch regularly!


Enter your email address

    
You might wish to follow on Facebook as well.....

Until next time,

~Chris


Post dividers: Plumose Lane 

8 comments:

  1. I love Shakespeare! Hamlet is my favorite, followed closely by Midsummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, those two are at the top of my list as well!

      Thanks for stopping by Lindsay!

      Delete
  2. Although I love reading, I detested high school English class. We did a number of Shakespearean plays, which I found hard to understand, and dead within the book. Now, in my later years, I, more and more, are pulled to reopen some of those books, or to see one of the plays performed live. Your children are fortunate - these are being taught to them the way they should be taught - as living plays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LIndsay~
      It is amazing, isn't it? Being able to immerse in th literature this way!?

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Shakespeare is great. My T post is up http://atcad.blogspot.com/2016/04/thyroid-thirst-tachycardia-and.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll click right over to visit!

      Thanks Alasandra for visiting!!

      Delete
  4. Pinned! Old theatre major here, and I just got a job teaching a theatre class for secondary-level homeschool students, so I'll be visiting your links!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for pinning....and how great that you might be able to refer back to the post for a resource or two.

      Thanks so much for stopping by Erin

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.