Saturday, April 22, 2017

Similes, Sonnets, Structure: The Best Sources on Style for Any Writer <#AtoZbloggingchallenge #QT>


Writing and literature are my passions, as you know....
< well,  blogging must = love of writing, right? 😉 >
In addition to a love affair with the beauty of words,
I've made a practice, through the years,  with my own writing
and in my teaching and homeschooling, 
of sharpening my grammar and composition skills
and in fact, have garnered several sources upon which
I greatly rely for The Answers to any style questions.
Now, as you know, certain schools require that a specific form
be adhered to. 
But, for the writer in all of us, who simply wants precision 
of grammar and structure, these references that follow,
 might be enjoyed.

  My absolute favorite book on composition and grammar,
The Elements of Style, has, as part of its introduction, these words:
This book aims to give in brief space the principal requirements of plain English style. 
It aims to lighten the task of instructor and student by concentrating
 attention on a few essentials, the rules of usage and principles 
of composition most commonly violated.
Now, literary geek, that I am, those words, to me, are rapturous!
Imagine  a book solely ABOUT THE USAGE OF OUR LANGUAGE!

I've decided, for  today's installment in the 
#AtoZbloggingchallenge, to compile my favorite sources ....
S is for style! 
Enjoy!



By far the most thorough, comprehensive, usable guide, to me!
And we ALL love E.B. White, of course!




Workmanship in Words
A classic go-to guide categorizes usage by subject/ interest area.
For example, architecture, art, music, law, science.







Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association


The standard, staple for legions of writers
and institutions of higher learning, aka the APA manual.
User friendly, easy to access whether searching endnote format
or thesis structure.






On Writing Well



The Zinser classic, On Writing Well offers you fundamental principles
 as well as the insights of a distinguished writer and teacher. Stood the test of time and remains a valuable resource for writers and would-be writers.



The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation



Simple explanations of grammar, punctuation, and usage; scores of helpful examples

The Writer: Perfect Words
I stumbled onto this website recently and became immediately comfortable
with its accessibility and convenience.
Here, from their website, is a statement of "what they do:"
<< We usually say we do five big things:
tone of voicewritingtrainingcontent and naming

You’re welcome to get just one of those things from us. 
Or a combo, like defining a tone of voice then training people in it. >> 
Sounds fantastic, doesn't it?



And by the way, I've a post upcoming in a few days
about writers' thoughts on the writing life...... 
that'll be my "W" post in the #AtoZbloggingchallenge.....!

By the way, shameless self promo, speaking of all things
writing~~~~ here are some details on the writing
services I offer, should you be interested.




I'm happy to participate  in  the annual A to Z blog challenge!
S is for.... Similes, Sonnets, Structure:  
The Best Sources on Style for Any Writer

Also, linking to Carolyn's monthly #OpenBook party!
If you're looking for book rec, Carolyn's is the place!

...and Kelly's Quick Take link up....
Head on over to Kelly's for some fun posts!



And here are all of my  2016 A to Z  Blog Challenge posts~~ ~


Image result for new york city themed blog post dividers

Thank you for spending some of your precious time today
here at my home on the web! 

Have you signed up to receive my posts in your email inbox?
   If not, just click here to 
quickly and easily  so we can be in touch regularly!
You might wish to follow on Facebook as well.....

Image result for new york city themed blog post dividers
This post contains amazon affiliate links....
If you are shopping at  amazon and Target
why not consider clicking through my link
In this way, I will receive a small commission on the purchase.....
at no cost to you.
THANK YOU!

Until next time,

~Chris

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up, Chris! Great recommendations.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.