Thursday, April 27, 2017

Writers on the Writing Life: Quotes & Thoughts < #AtoZbloggingchallenge #QT >


I've been "collecting" writers' profundities just because.......
and decided to gather them all in one spot and share.
So many of us share a love affair with words and so 
I thought writers on  writing might make for an interesting read!
From Hemingway to Plath to Chekhov and more......enjoy.....

“What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, 
you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours 
and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. 
That doesn't happen much, though.”

JD Salinger
Catcher in the Rye


J. D. Salinger: A Life by [Slawenski, Kenneth]







“There is nothing to writing.
 All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” 


Ernest Hemingway

Writer, Sailor, Soldier, Spy: Ernest Hemingway's Secret Adventures, 1935-1961 by [Reynolds, Nicholas]




“You have to write the book that wants to be written. 
And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups,
 then you write it for children.” 




Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time Quintet (5 Book Series) by  Madeleine L'Engle




“And by the way, everything in life is writable  if you have the outgoing guts 
to do it, and the imagination to improvise. 
The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”




The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath by [Plath, Sylvia]


Sylvia Plath

The Journals





The most important things are the hardest to say. 
They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them -- 
words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head
 to no more than living size when they're brought out. 
But it's more than that, isn't it? 
The most important things lie too close to 
wherever your secret heart is buried,
 like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. 
And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have 
people look at you in a funny way,
 not understanding what you've said at all, 
or why you thought it was so important that 
you almost cried while you were saying it.



      On Writing: A Memoir Of The Craft by [King, Stephen]


Stephen King





“Don't tell me the moon is shining; 
show me the glint of light on broken glass.” 
Letters of Anton Chekhov to His Family and Friends: By Anton Chekhov - Illustrated by [Anton Chekhov]


Anton Chekhov




“The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter. ’tis the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.” 


The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain: A Book of Quotations (Dover Thrift Editions) by [Twain, Mark]

Mark Twain

Wit and Wisdom









...and by the way, for anyone who's
 in  need of any sort of professional authoring, 
here are  the writing services I offer. 





I'm happy to participate  in Kelly's Quick Takes link up,
and Debbie's Tune in Thursdays hop
.......as well as the A to Z blog challenge! 

W is for...Writers on Writing: 
The Best Quotes on the Writing Life

And here are all of the 2016 A to Z  Blog Challenge posts~~ ~


Image result for new york city themed blog post dividers

Thank you for spending some of your precious time today
here at my home on the web! 

Have you signed up to receive my posts in your email inbox?
   If not, just click here to 
quickly and easily  so we can be in touch regularly!
You might wish to follow on Facebook as well.....

Image result for new york city themed blog post dividers
This post contains amazon affiliate links....
If you are shopping at  amazon and Target
why not consider clicking through my link
In this way, I will receive a small commission on the purchase.....
at no cost to you.
THANK YOU!

Until next time,

~Chris

6 comments:

  1. oooh I love the quote - you have to write the book that wants to be written - I so know that feeling... I love the post for W this week.
    I am so glad you could join the party last week at #TuneInThursday. I am so sorry it has taken me so long to get around to commenting on your post, I had a retreat I was speaking at this past weekend, and it put me behind a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Debbie! It's so nice to have met you through the blog hop!

      I hope the retreat was wonderful!

      Delete
  2. These are some of my favorite quotes about writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed! Thanks for stopping by Kathleen!

      Delete
  3. I love Stephen King's 'On Writing'. Now to add that Ernest Hemmingway title to my WIshlist! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love King's writing life story! I agree.......So honest, you know.

      Thanks for the visit, Kelly

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.. .....
I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS!!
I will reply right here in the combox; so please check back if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've had to reactivate comment moderation due to frequent spam. So sorry you have to deal with this inconvenience.

If you'd like, you can contact me instead via email ~
campfiresandcleatsATgmail DOT com.